1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor/Munster, Ind

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hwkcrz1, Oct 7, 2006.

1. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

Sports Copy Editor

Munster, Indiana
    The Times of Northwest Indiana, a 90,000+ circulation located 30 miles from the downtown Chicago area, is seeking a highly-motivated sports copy editor. Candidates should have a background in copy editing to include skills in editing and headline writing. In this position, you will work as part of an editorial management team, and must be able to set and achieve goals.

The successful candidate will have at least 2 or more years of proven newsroom experience, excellent time management and organizational skills (including the ability to accurately gauge project duration), deliver on deadline, and manage a workload with possible conflicting priorities. You should also have a journalism degree or the equivalent in work experience.

The Times is one of Lee Enterprises' 52 daily newspapers. Lee also publishes 300 weekly newspapers, shoppers and classified and specialty publications. In addition Lee provides a wide variety of associated online services. Lee is the only media company named in the 2005 Fortune 200 list of best small companies. We offer competitive compensation and a great working environment.

Interested candidates may apply in person or send a resume and cover letter to:

Human Resources
    Job Code: SptsCopyEd
    The Times
    601 - 45th Avenue
    Munster, IN 46321

E-Mail: timesjobs@nwitimes.com

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Wonderful area.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Section seems to be on fumes. It's not sure what it wants to be when it grows up.

4. If we're talking about copy editing, someone should tell the NWTI people that "highly motivated" does not take a hyphen.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Good cheese

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Don't post on SportsJournalists.com from work if you take this job.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Was that dude even posting from work? Definitely don't post about your work if you take that job.

Whoever that dude was (I forget his name) is in the SportsJournalists.com Got Fired From Their Job Because They Posted Here heaven, and as I recall, he was anonymous too, though not exactly being stealthy about his identity.

8. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Odd it's a copy editor job, yet it says, "In this position, you will work as part of an editorial management team, and must be able to set and achieve goals."

9. PBOWKER

PBOWKER Member

PM me if you have questions about this job. I'll be straight with ya.
    By the way, this job has been open for nearly a year, and it is the only copy editing position in sports, outside of the three ASEs they have. Very busy nights, considering the seven-eight nightly editions they have.
    Rest of the story on NWITimes has been well documented on this Web site.

former sports editor

10. AtlasOfTheWorld

AtlasOfTheWorld New Member

just wanted to correct an outright lie. say what you will about the times. but this copy editing job has not been open for a year, as mr. bowker says. the person in that position took a new job at the paper, so this job has only been open for a few weeks.

another outright lie is the "seven-eight nightly editions they have." yes, the paper as a whole can put out eight editions each night. in sports, though, they produce an illinois edition and two editions within indiana most nights. just shows what mr. bowker remembers about working there. so take that as you will if you decide to pm the guy for his "straight" story on working there. besides, is there any daily sports section in the country this size that does NOT have "very busy nights"??? that usually comes with the sports journalism territory.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Is this the same paper that wants to hire a part-timer to cover a D-I school? I get my suburban Chicago papers confused easily. . .

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It is indeed the same one.

One copy editor, part-timer covering Division I basketball for a nearby school ... sounds like a great place!

Draft saved Draft deleted