1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, Marietta, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I'm not sure I can add too much more that hasn't already been said about the MDJ, but I too am an MDJ Sports survivor. One of the most frustrating/confusing/unrewarding 15 months of my life. If the experience helped me, I'm not sure how, other than the fact that it got me away from home after college and adjacent to a big city.

Generally speaking, the staff isn't bad to work with. I know all the guys there now except for the new SE, and they're good people. Other than that, I have nothing good to say about the place. If anyone doubts the people here are accurately portraying the atmosphere at the MDJ, don't. If anything, they're downplaying just how mind-numbingly shitty that place is to work for. It's awful.

There's a pall over the office. People constantly live in a sort of fear that the insane higher-ups will go on one of their rampages and fire everyone within 50 yards of the newsroom. They issue baseless edicts that you're forced to follow (My favorite was when they said every sports story had to have the name of a Cobb County resident in the first sentence).

I can't state this strongly enough: Don't go there. Not now. Not ever. Otis Brumby has killed more journalism careers than cheap pot and 40s of MGD.

2. Money007

Money007 Guest

To quote Dumb and Dumber ... "So, you're saying there's a chance..."

3. boots

boots New Member

He's saying go there but do it at your own risk.

Draft saved Draft deleted