1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, Marietta, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Feb 26, 2007.

1. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

they have at least one hot girl working there ... i know that

2. boots

boots New Member

But there is always the chance that it could end positively.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Yeah. HIV-positively.

4. Gob Bluth

Gob Bluth Member

Got contacted on this job today and I decided to ask a few questions. I was kind of surprised that I got contacted, because I never sent in a clip package after reading about the troubles have been read about.
    After what I read about this place, I decided to stay away, but I wanted to know what the sports editor thought. He said the job would pay in the upper 20's, but he wasn't sure and that he hadn't had any problems since he started in November.

One more note, this spot is the No. 2 page design person on staff, and it didn't seem like the right move right now

5. boots

boots New Member

The upper 20s for Marietta means you'll be living on Ramen noodles. Also, if you didn't send them a clip file, did you ask how they found out about you?

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

7. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Bad sign when the SE isn't sure what one of the positions on his staff, which ain't big to begin with, pays.
    And there's been more than one person to bolt the MDJ circus after just four hours on the job.

8. Gob Bluth

Gob Bluth Member

I did a resume before I started to read about the job, so I decided to not to send my clip file after that. But the SE called anyway saying they got my clip file and wanted to bring me in for an interview. I have a feeling they are not getting many people interested in the job.

9. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

A few years ago, there was an article in the Atlanta Creative Loafing on the MDJ and its publisher, and one former MDJer likened the place to a "banana republic." He didn't mean the clothing store, either. And he wasn't off the mark, either.
    The MDJ is now on its sixth SE in less than five years.

10. actually a "banana plantation." just kidding. http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A6663

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I love this quote: "Our personnel department is not on trial here." As if the personnel department had anything to do with the turnover there.

12. AJSmartschan

AJSmartschan New Member

I'm going to get a short answer, judging by the rest of this thread, but I got a call from these guys yesterday. Trek down from Boston for an interview?

Bracing myself ...

Draft saved Draft deleted