1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, Grand Forks (N.D.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mark2010, May 24, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Grand Forks Herald, a 30,000 AM daily on the Minnesota/North Dakota border. Hometown of University of North Dakota.

Paper is owned by Forum Communications, which also owns Fargo, Duluth and some smaller properties in the upper midwest. They also own one of the local TV stations. I know some will be turned off by the cold winters, but this is a decent job with a decent company in a decent town. Twin Cities are a short plane ride or day's drive away.

If I were available, I would be all over this in a heartbeat. Talked to Matt Cory about a position last summer (that was filled internally) before my current family crisis. For the hockey fans, it doesn't get too much better, with a really good NCAA D-I program at North Dakota and they also follow the NHL (Winnipeg is less than two hours away). Also have football (UND going to Big Sky Conference in 2013) and basketball and the usual assortment. As for pro coverage, the Minnesota teams are their "home" teams, but it's mostly wire stuff.

RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:

Edit staff-generated and wire copy using strong news/sports judgment.
    Verify facts, dates and statistics.
    Edit copy from national and regional wire.
    Select and design photographs and graphics to conform to space requirements.
    Write or rewrite headlines and captions according to publication requirements.
    Contribute to online efforts.
    Develop familiarity with the region’s news/sports scene.
    All other duties as assigned by the News/Sports Editor.

QUQUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:

College degree preferred, but will consider combination of education and previous relevant job experience.
    Ability to make decisions and work under pressure.
    Knowledge of AP style.
    Ability to be a team player yet works independently.
    Strong visual communication along with excellent written and verbal communication.
    Accomplished technical computer skills. Quark experience preferred.
    Motivated self-starter who is flexible between desk duties.

APAPPLICATION DEADLINE: 5 / 31 / 12

APPLICATION OR RESUME AND CLIPS TO: Matt Cory

Grand Forks Herald

PO Box 6008

Grand Forks ND 58206-6008

Email: mcory@gfherald.com

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's a union job (rare in the chain), as it was part of the Knight-Ridder chain until 2006, and then bought by McClatchey, which sold it to Forum Communications.

Pay is decent and the cost of living in Grand Forks in relatively inexpensive.

Draft saved Draft deleted