1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, etc., The News-Times (Danbury, Conn.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Sep 5, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Seems like this is a jack-of-all trades gig. Anyone know anything about the paper? Is this one of the better Ottoway rags?

From jjobs.com:
    Company: The News-Times
    Position:
    Great chance to get started
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    October 9, 2006
    Job ID: 678104
    Description:
    Looking to break into the newspaper and online news industry during challenging times? This may be your chance. The News-Times, a 30,000-circulation daily/33,000 Sunday newspaper, seeks a full-time copy editor for Sports who also can edit news, write a little -- and who knows online is a big part of our future. We seek enthusiasm with this position more than experience. Some background is required but internships, campus papers and weeklies certainly count. Please send a well-done, on-paper packet to: Eric Conrad, editor; The News-Times, 333 Main St., Danbury, CT 06810. EOE.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Yes. No. Not sure.

3. pipes

pipes New Member

Yes, this is an Ottaway paper.

It and five others in the group were put up for sale by Dow Jones last week. Watch your step.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Didn't see this one on the list, pipes. Logical buyer would be JRC, and that would be bad.

5. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Yeah, they're up for sale. Got a new top editor in Conrad, too. Might be interesting times in Danbury.

6. pipes

pipes New Member

Danbury is definitely on the list:

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2006/August/29/local/stories/01local.htm

JRC would seem logical, yes, but don't rule out Gannett. They've shown interest in the Danbury area before.

The publisher, executive editor and managing editor have all been replaced at Danbury in the last 6-18 months.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

True, with Westchester right over the border, Gannett would make sense.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

There will be no shortage of bidders. Fairfield County has five dailies. Don't count out Singleton (Bridgeport) and Tribune Co. (Stamford and Greenwich as well as Hartford). They have an interest in seeing that neither JRC nor Gannett gets Danbury.

My money's on Singleton. He probably wants Santa Cruz, too.

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Not just Westchester, but Poughkeepsie, too.

If the Pape family in Waterbury could get the financial backing, I'd like to see them make a bid. But I doubt that would happen.

10. pipes

pipes New Member

The Papes? You've got to be kidding. Have the Papes ever, in the last 100 years, purchased another daily? The very fact they'd need the financial backing tells you everything you need to know about the Papes.

11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

They bought a daily that was about to close, yes. They didn't keep it a daily, nor should they have.

What does that fact tell me about the Papes? That they don't have $100 million at their disposal? They're a wealthy family but not an empire. How many families that own one daily do you know that go out and buy another? (And how many of them are actually successful when they do?) But if I'm in Danbury, I'll take family ownership over a chain anyday.

12. pipes

pipes New Member

You take the fun out of debating the subject when you make my points for me.

The Papes aren't an empire. The Papes don't have a history of buying up dailies and making them successful. How many families do I know that buy dailies and keep them that way? None. That's why there's no way the Papes are buying Danbury.

In the past, I've worked for the Papes and I've worked in Danbury. I can understand the idea that working for a family is better than working for a chain, in theory anyway. But my experience with both entities says that working for a chain is better than working for the Papes.

Draft saved Draft deleted