1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor/designer, Wilmington (N.C.) Star-News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Appgrad05, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

From NCPA site:

Sports Copy Editor/Designer (posted 6/25/07)
    The Star-News, a 50,000-circulation daily in Wilmington owned by The New York Times Company, has an opening on its sports desk. Applicants must be passionate, accurate, creative, detail-oriented, reader-focused and calm under deadline pressure. The successful candidate will help build newsy and entertaining sports pages, strengthen local copy and write sharp, inviting headlines and captions. Must have a track record of accuracy and top-notch design skills. Check out our Web site (www.starnewsonline.com) to learn more about the quality of life in this scenic, coastal area. Check out www.nytco.com to find out about the company and its benefits. Please e-mail a resume, examples of your work and a cover letter outlining why you want to work at the Star-News to sports editor Neil Amato (neil.amato@starnewsonline.com). Also include your thoughts on how a sports copy editor and designer should fit into a Web-first newsroom. The deadline to apply is Wednesday, July 11.

2. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Wilmington is a beautiful city (with beautiful college students, for those interested) and the Star-News is a good-looking section.

I have talked with Neil a few times and have been impressed with his personality.

If nothing else, whoever lands here will be able to eat plenty of Flaming Amy's burritos.

3. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Will this opening actually be filled? I've heard it may not.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Moddy Seal, which may not count as much as the boots seal but counts for something.

5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Hey, I don't have enough clout to even offer seals. But this is a very good job at a very good paper.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I am most familiar with Neil and Andrew Jones, but everyone at Wilmington is good people. This is a very, very good position.

7. Neil Amato

Neil Amato New Member

To follow up on our job posting, I have one small but very important request for applicants: Please follow the instructions listed and include your thoughts on the role a sports copy editor and page designer should play in a Web-first newsroom. That has been absent from multiple applications.

Again, our deadline is July 11.

Thanks, Neil

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Two words.
    Trash can.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yes you do.

I added a battle star to your seal on the Hilton Head job. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted