1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor/designer -- The Post-Star (Glens Falls, N.Y.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Nov 25, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

We are seeking a page designer and editor to lead the way in producing our sports section on a daily basis. The person we hire will lay out the section four to five times a week, work with writers on presentation of local stories and oversee certain aspects of our sports website.

Familiarity with InDesign or similar programs is required. We generally hire people with daily newspaper experience, but will consider an exceptional entry-level candidate. If interested, contact Sports Editor Greg Brownell at brownell@poststar.com for more details.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1546169

2. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

About 10 years ago, I applied for this gig when I was a SE at a small daily in North Carolina. I pulled myself out of the running early -- financially, it wouldn't have made sense for me -- but I'll never forget how professional and courteous Greg Brownell was during the process. I could tell, just from our phone conversation about the gig, how passionate he was/is about the profession and how much they emphasize quality work.

3. SCS

SCS New Member

To state it as simply as possible, this is one of the best gigs out there if you can deal with the weather.

I had this spot a couple years back and always refer back to it fondly and with pride.

I never really appreciated Greg Brownell - and his dedication to the product - until I saw other operations. He is simply a great editor to work with/for.

Also, the writers that work for the Post-Star are always top notch with two of the nicest guys in the business covering high school football and horse racing/boys basketball. There are long days around state basketball time, high school football kick off, and AHL hockey time, but it is all very, very fun.

If you can stand being cold 6 months of the year, the summers are worth it, the work is worth it, and as I said, the people are worth it.

A must apply if you can.

Draft saved Draft deleted