1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor/designer, Tacoma News Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by luckyducky, Jun 15, 2006.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Company: The News Tribune (Tacoma, Wash.)
    Position:
    Sports copy editor/page designer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    July 20, 2006
    Job ID: 649941

Description:
    The News Tribune of Tacoma, Wash., a McClatchy newspaper with a circulation of 125,000 daily and 138,000 on Sundays, is seeking a sports copy editor/page designer.
    The ideal candidate writes engaging, conversational headlines that are always smart, often clever and rarely ordinary. We need someone who exercises great care in editing, from fact-checking to making trims to rewriting or reorganizing parts of stories. Mastery of spelling, grammar and AP style is required, as are sound news judgment and the ability to flourish under deadline pressure. Although this position emphasizes copy editing, we stress versatility and ask all editors to handle the occasional page. We work nights and weekends, usually from 3:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.

Like many newsrooms, ours is in transition as we strive to meet our readers' needs in an evolving media landscape. That means we want an innovative thinker who recognizes that our increasingly popular Web site, thenewstribune.com, holds untapped potential.

We offer competitive pay and benefits. Away from the office, you'll enjoy a lively music and arts scene, breathtaking views of Mount Rainier and the Puget Sound, and bountiful recreation. If you like to ski, hike, fish or boat, this is the place for you. Seattle is a 30-minute drive north, Portland is a two-hour trip south, and beautiful Victoria, B.C., is a three-hour ferry ride away.

We cover all the major professional teams in Seattle along with the Triple-A Tacoma Rainiers, the University of Washington, Washington State University, several smaller colleges and more than 60 high schools.

Applicants should have a bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or a related field. At least three years of experience as a sports copy editor/page designer at a daily newspaper is preferred. A pre-employment drug screening is required.

Send cover letter, résumé (including four references) and work samples (including 10 headlines and five pages) to:

Rob Wieman Sports Team Leader The News Tribune 1950 S. State St. Tacoma, WA 98405

E-mail inquiries should be directed to rob.wieman@thenewstribune.com. No phone calls, please.

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Nothing, really? Is anyone even going to apply for this...?

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I would in a heartbeat were my wife not tied to DC until Election Day.

4. zman82

zman82 Member

is tacoma a cheaper place to live than seattle? and does it really rain that much? i've never been to the pacific northwest.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Yes. Much, much, much cheaper ... but you have to be willing to settle for a less-than-ideal area. But, unlike Seattle, affordable housing is available.

The secret is it doesn't rain nearly as much as everybody says. The winters are all rain, all the time ... but really nice summers.

BTW, is this guy the same Rob Wieman who was at the Miami Herald?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes

7. Lester Bangs

Cool. Young man's got some game.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The TNT has an excellent sports section, and John McGrath might be the best columnist in the Puget Sound area. Dave Bolling is solid as well. There's AAA baseball, solid preps, and they cover the Sonics/Seahawks/Huskies like a Seattle paper.

Tacoma is considerably cheaper than Seattle, with less traffic. Yes, it's gray and dismal from November through late March-early April, but as an earlier poster said the PNW might have the best summer weather in America, constant sunshine/low humidy/no mosquitos.

9. Lester Bangs

... and God bless cryptic posters who make snide comments but add nothing of value.

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Play nice guys (and gals).

Good paper, good people, semi biased. PM if you'd like. I grew up in the Seattle area. Always been a fan of the TNT. Mike Sando is probably the best Seahawks beat writer of the three papers.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

one guy's opinion: many years ago, the news-trib had the best sports section in the state, bar none. not so much anymore. i don't know, they have a coupla great columnists, but it lacks, well, a badda bing ... but it still is quality.

tacoma, a horrible city, with a shitty pencity for crime. a person could always live in lacey (north of olympia) and commute, but traffic from lacey to north of seattle on I-5 sucks about 20 hours a day. a better idea might be to live on the peninsula and make the hike in that way and you'd spend little time on the 5.

after the hard-line review: would i work for the trib if they offered me a like-job there? hell yes. but i'd find a different place to live other than tacoma, where it rarely doesn't smell so badly you want to toss chunks.

12. Giggity

Giggity Member

Not true. Tacoma is much, much, much, MUCH nicer than it was 10-15 years ago. Crime isn't nearly the problem it was, and tons of money is being dumped into the downtown. Lots of new businesses, a condo boom, some awesome resteraunts. As for the famous Tacoma aroma - it's isolated to a small area that happens to include I-5, so you sometimes smell it if you're driving past on the freeway, but never if you're actually in town.

Draft saved Draft deleted