1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor/designer, Grand Junction, Colorado

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sportschick, Apr 26, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Company: Grand Junction Daily Sentinel
    Position: Sports copy editor/designer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: May 30, 2007
    Job ID: 770454

Description:
    The Daily Sentinel has an immediate opening for a sports copy editor/designer to join our seven-person staff.

We’re looking for someone who will strengthen local and wire copy and can design innovative pages; we’re not afraid to take chances. Experience with PageSpeed/InDesign is a plus.

Degree in journalism or related field is required, and daily newspaper experience is preferred, but we’ll take the right beginner. This is NOT a writing position; working nights and weekends comes with the territory.

We cover four high schools and one college in town, plus 35 surrounding high schools. Grand Junction is home to the National Junior College World Series. We publish a large special section before the tournament, plus daily special editions during the eight-day event, now in its 50th year.

The Daily Sentinel is owned by Cox Enterprises and is a 30,000-circulation a.m. daily. Salary is based on experience, and we have a generous benefit package.

Grand Junction is in the high desert region of the Western Slope of Colorado, roughly halfway between Denver and Salt Lake City. The 130,000 residents of the valley enjoy countless outdoor recreational activities, including mountain biking, hiking, fishing, skiing and some great mountain golf courses.

Send resume, references and clips (e-mail or regular mail) to:

Patti Arnold, sports editor
    The Daily Sentinel
    P.O. Box 668
    Grand Junction, Colo. 81502
    parnold@gjds.com

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I have a friend who once worked at this paper. This person said the SE was top-notch. Just FYI.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Patti Arnold is a good. She hooks us up every time one of our jucos makes it up there.

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

A third on Patty Arnold's bona fides. I interviewed there but it just wasn't the right time. Otherwise, I would have jumped at the chance to work there. Great town, too.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

My brother played in the JUCO world series there in 2002. I really enjoyed my time out there and would have jumped at this chance before I got married. It was a beautiful 4-hour drive from Denver to GJ.

6. Anybody hear anything about this one?

EDIT: I deserved that one, I suppose I should probably sleep more.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Herd there looking for a copy editor.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Edited for clarity

9. This one was filled, fyi.

Draft saved Draft deleted