1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor/designer, Gainesville (Fla.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lollygaggers, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

From Journalism Jobs. Better like the Florida Gators . . .

Company: Gainesville Sun
    Position: Seeking sports copy editor/designer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: August 11, 2010
    Job ID: 1183029

Description:
    The Gainesville (FL.) Sun, a New York Times newspaper, seeks a sports copy editor with sharp news judgment, strong copy-editing skills, a flair for headline writing and an ability to design information-packed pages. Daily newspaper experience and familiarity with InDesign are essential. Send a resume and five editing/headline samples and five page designs, and mail to Arnold Feliciano, sports editor, The Gainesville Sun, 2700 SW 13th Street, Gainesville, Fl., 32608-2015 or e-mail arnold.feliciano@gvillesun.com.

2. I no longer know anyone who works there, but I can vouch for the paper's quality. And as for Gainesville, there's not a better town in American if you're into independent punk and indie music.

As I remember it, the paper had up to 100 interns (of varying levels of commitment) at a time, so maybe that means there's usually some help on the desk.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I'll vouch for Arnold Feliciano any day.

rb

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

100 interns? Where do they all sit? Or shit, for that matter?

Didn't know Gainesville was THAT big.

5. I don't think most of them did anything. I just remember having to sign in to this big book that listed that semester's interns and it had a ton of names. I asked someone there how many they had and he said they usually had about 100.

And Gainesville isn't that big itself, but Florida is one of the largest universities in the country with nearly 50,000 students, and the J-school is among the largest of those on campus and in the country. Or at least was not too long ago. So yeah, there are a lot of kids who, for at least a few minutes, will claim they want to work for free to gain experience. But it did seem like every day I saw a story buried in the paper written by one of my classmates whose byline I had never seen before or again, so maybe there were 100 kids all willing to give 10 percent, and that equaled something of value for the paper.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

At one point in the mid-90s, the sports staff had a group of all-star stringers that just about equaled the full-timers' contribution to the section -- which isn't a knock on the FTs at ALL, but more of a reflection on how much the kiddos did.

rb

7. I'll also throw in a vouch for Arnold

8. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Not a fan of the section, but Arnold is a tough guy not to like.

9. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Is this John Patton's old job? I heard he wasn't at the paper anymore. I don't know if he quit or what.

10. This wasn't Patton's job (he was high school sports editor/writer). But I was recently wondering if he was still there, too, or just taking tons of vacation this summer. It looks like his last blog post was in May, but it wasn't frequently updated to being with.

11. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Someone told me Patton technically quit, but was pushed out and is now working for a website covering UF. They're either not replacing him or it's not a priority.

Patton is a good guy, but he wasn't happy at that paper almost since he arrived there.

12. Which, according to that blog, was 1999.

Draft saved Draft deleted