1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(sports) Copy editor/designer Daily News (Galveston, TX)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by esport12, Jul 24, 2010.

1. esport12

esport12 Member

From jjobs.com http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=628591

Sounds like this isn't solely sports, but there's an emphasis on it. "Experience editing sports stories and designing sports pages is preferred." I do know it's a universal copy desk over there.

Anyway, here's the ad.

The Galveston County Daily News, the oldest continuously published daily newspaper in Texas, with a daily circulation of 30,000, seeks a detail-oriented copy editor who can do it all, from editing raw copy from reporters, to designing creative pages and posting stories to the Web. The Daily News is looking for a copy editor with a bachelor's degree and at least two years of experience in copy editing and designing a variety of newspaper pages, including news, features and sports. The ideal candidate has excellent editing skills, including strong knowledge of grammar and Associated Press style, and has the ability to work as a team member in a fast- paced environment under deadline pressure. Knowledge of InDesign is a must, and proficiency with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop is desired. Experience editing sports stories and designing sports pages is preferred. Experience creating graphics is a plus. This is a nighttime position and requires weekend and holiday work from our Texas City office, located less than 15 miles from Galveston. Qualified candidates should send a cover letter, resume and examples of page layouts to Melissa Rivera, news editor, at melissa.rivera@galvnews.com. Materials also can be mailed to The Galveston County Daily News, Attn. Melissa Rivera, 7800 Emmett F. Lowry Expressway, Texas City, TX 77591.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

So by the ad, Galveston now has roughly the same circulation as Beaumont?

I know it's a fair-size city (don't know how well it has bounced back post-hurricane), but I consider it part of Houston metro, really, much more so than Beaumont. And the paper I have always considered to be a community paper where Beaumont I always considered a metro paper, if that makes sense.

Correct me if I'm wrong about that. I have had very little exposure to the Galveston paper.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's been a number of years since I was there, but they would cover a lot of the Houston pro stuff in addition to the local high schools and such.

Yes, the Houston Chronicle circulates there, but they have soooo many high schools to cover that the Galveston County schools (both island and mainland) don't dominate. The GDN can give those schools more in-depth coverage.

4. The SE (Josh Buckley) is a good person to work for.

It is a universal desk and while they do go out and cover the Houston pro and college teams, the high schools definitely keep them busy. La Marque was once a state football power, but Friendswood has replaced them. Friendswood's boys and girls soccer teams -- along with the volleyball team -- are always in the state title hunt, while several of the other area schools have programs that make deep playoff runs.

PM if you want more info....

Draft saved Draft deleted