1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor/designer, Bend Oregon

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Feb 14, 2012.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

from jj.com

Company: The Bulletin
    Position: Sports copy editor/designer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: March 19, 2012
    Job ID: 916209

Description:
    The Bulletin seeks a sports copy editor/designer with the skills to assemble a visually appealing and smart-reading page in a deadline-oriented environment. The successful candidate will possess pagination skills and will write story-selling headlines, challenge copy and make sound news decisions. Background in a range of sports is important. Knowledge of DTI, InDesign, PhotoShop and Illustrator is preferred. Must be willing to work night and weekend shifts. Bachelor's degree required. We are an independent, family-owned newspaper in a city surrounded by mountains and stellar outdoor recreation. The Bulletin is an equal opportunity employer. Direct all job inquires to sports editor, Bill Bigelow at bbigelow@bendbulletin.com. To apply for this position, send your resume and work samples to Marielle Gallagher, newsroom administrator at: mgallagher@bendbulletin.com.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

This is a good one to jump on.

For those unfamiliar with Oregon...Bend is in the Central Part of the state and is surrounded by our mountains. Great place to be if your are into outdoors...hiking, biking, rafting, climbing, skiing...this area has it all. And Bend is a sizeable city where even though your are a bit isolated, especially in the winter months, you have everything you would need in town from entertainment to hospitals, etc.

We hit this area every summer for a vacation spot...if I was looking to make a move I'd be on this yesterday. The paper also puts out a quality product and is the main news source in the area with a solid reputation and circulation (last I heard, anyway).

3. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

It's also a great time to buy a home in that area, as the housing market in central Oregon is as soft as any place in the Northwest.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

No local college sports, although they do some game-day coverage of OSU and UO football, each about 2.5 hours west, over the mountains. It's a solid paper, with a pay website.

Five big high schools in the Bend/Redmond/Prineville circulation area. Good summer league baseball program that's well-supported.

Far more sunshine than west of the Cascades, and has been said, probably the best time in the last 20 years to buy a house because there's a ton of inventory.

5. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

I have two nephews with a band based now in Bend: Stillfear. Download Stillfear on iTunes. They were trading blows with Megadeth a couple of weeks ago for download action. ... And on the serious side, they genuinely love Bend.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

micro, I believe you meant to say OSU and UO are each 2.5 hours west of Bend, not east. Going 2.5 hours east of Bend gets you approximately to the middle of nowhere. Or maybe Burns. ;)

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

and if you're going east have your rifle loaded :)

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Duh. It's corrected. Bend is east of me, but obviously Autzen and Reser are west of Bend. And it's a shitty drive to either venue.

Draft saved Draft deleted