1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor/designer at The Bulletin in Bend, Ore.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jackson Sundown, May 2, 2008.

1. DG

DG New Member

That's meant to be more a cost-of-living comparison than a housing market comparison. The real estate market is ridiculous, although that's coming down too.

Let's put it this way -- my wife and I live comfortably in Bend and easily save every month, and we're not making money hand over fist. The price of things in Bend doesn't hurt our bottom line. I am sure if you're working closer to the $10 an hour range, it can be harder to make ends meet here.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm going to partially jump off your bandwagon if you keep up with that tone, mister. ;)

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Bend, if memory serves, is the flagship paper of the Western Communications chain.

Not a big chain by any means, but it's pretty solid. Folks could do a lot worse.

4. DG

DG New Member

Yeah, it is. Bend is the biggest paper in the chain. WesCom recently sold the Hermiston Herald, which I think had been the worst paper in the portfolio in a while. But it was sold to the East Oregonian, which has a good a chance as anyone to turn it around.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/departments/business/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003793146

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Interesting ... I hadn't heard about the sale. I know a few folks up in Hermiston, so I hope that works out well for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted