1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor/designer, Antelope Valley Press (Palmdale, Calif.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pluggin Away, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Pluggin Away

Pluggin Away New Member

Any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll do the best I can to answer or pass your question along to someone who can.

Company: Antelope Valley Press
    Position: Sports Desk
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: April 5, 2012
    Job ID: 1326923

Description:

The Antelope Valley Press is seeking a top-notch sports desk person for its award-winning section. We’re located in a hot-bed of sports in Southern California and we offer our readers an excellent mix of national, college, high school and community sports. We have a robust section and want a person who loves to make pages jump out at our readers. We are looking for a person with excellent Indesign skills who likes nothing better than to produce a quality headline or a quick information breakout. Photoshop skills required along with excellent copy editing ability. This is not a reporting position, although the successful candidate will take and write results as needed. We are located in a highly affordable area of Los Angeles County with access to Southern California attractions and offer a good benefits package. Job requires night work and will fill promptly with right candidate. Apply with cover letter, resume, and work samples to personnel@avpress.com.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Lots of turnover here and you can do a search for it, and the Birdman can give extensive background on this shop.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the AVP eventually found an SE?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you like all the crime of an urban area, with the all-hope-is-lost feeling of a rural area, the Antelope Valley is for you.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

And you get a nice dose of afternoon dust storms for your trouble.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Jay Heater is the SE, formerly of Contra Costa Times fame. From what I've read here he's got a pretty good rep.

Stopped there once on the drive to a desert outpost. Town itself felt less than safe, but far less Podunk than many places that make the rounds here.

7. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

I applied there three years ago and visited for a couple of days. Lancaster and Palmdale butt up to each other at a population of about 150k each. Nice minor-league ballyard for the High-A Lancaster JetHawks of the California League, big-ass mall. You're only an hour or so away from that shithole known as Hollywood if you want to go night-lifeing (if ESPN can make up words, so can I) in L.A. Even better, you're an hour AWAY from L.A.

There were crime stories in the AVP issues I checked out (usual Cali smut: gangs, drugs, good old-fashioned street violence), but I liked the place. Nothing there that I considered to be too out of hand. Then again, I was born in Stockton.

Draft saved Draft deleted