1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports copy editor, Columbus, OH

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, May 28, 2009.

1. flyers76

flyers76 New Member

Sticks aren't all that bad -- I'm getting paid now at a weekly with 3,000 circulation in North Carolina (mid-30's) what what I was making in Columbus for a weekly chain with 270,000 circulation in 2001. Depends a lot on NOT working for a corporate rag.

2. Y-town Pride

Y-town Pride New Member

Anyone heard if this position has been filled?

3. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

I wrote the paper after not hearing from them in a week, just to make sure he got my portfolio and everything. He wrote me back, saying they were filtering through a ton of portfolios because they got a better-than-expected turnout.

That was two weeks ago. Haven't heard anything since.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've been reading that companies in a lot of industries have stopped advertising openings and started hiring through connections only, just to avoid the mountains of resumes that any job ad draws these days.

5. DandM08

DandM08 New Member

Does anyone know what happened with this job opening?

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

DM, i noticed you only have two posts and they're both the same. just thought that was kinda funny.

7. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

I wish I knew. I'm getting no response back to emails...

8. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Me neither. Vaca maybe? It IS that time of year.

9. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

It's an epidemic, apparently. I've applied for a number of jobs all across the country, including the Victoria and Galveston jobs. I had to find out those jobs were filled through the "pipeline" on here ...

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The Galveston SE did tell me I wasn't going to be the one, so at least he has that going for him. But yeah, too often these jobs get filled and they don't tell you, or they won't get filled ... and they don't tell you.

On the other hand: I checked my e-mail at the end of the wretched Transformers movie on my phone. Got an e-mail from a place where I applied. Excitedly clicked on it ... only to find out I wasn't getting the job. *price is right horns of fail*. Sometimes I wonder if it's better to never know than to be let down.

11. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

In my experience, an email is usually a rejection. If they're going to offer you a job, it comes over the phone .. so emails are always a "blah" for me, unless it's in the early, setting up the interview stage.

And I'd rather know. I don't like to pursue too many things at once, so I like to have closure before moving on to something else. That's not always easy, but it's nice that at least we have this site for things like that.

12. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

See, I'm the opposite. I try and pursue as many opportunities as possible, cause I know there's no way I'm that lucky that I'll get interviews for everything I apply for.
    Though, I'm not opposed to being pleasantly surprised sometime in the near future.

Draft saved Draft deleted