1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Copy Editor -- (Colorado Springs, Colo.) Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jul 2, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Copy Editors are part of the Newsroom team responsible for crafting the printed edition of The Gazette as well as posting to gazette.com. The Sports Copy Editor supports the sports department as well as assisting with other departments as needed. They bring a reader’s eye to every news item and the paper as a whole, screening content for accuracy, fairness, completeness and relevance. They enforce grammar, style and journalism’s elements while preserving the voice of the writer. In addition, they are responsible for pagination duties including page layout, inserting copy, photos and other images.

Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:

Carefully reads copy, paying close attention to content, style, grammar and spelling
    Writes headlines that are fair, accurate in tone and substance, understandable and informative.
    Write heads that are creative and engaging to draw the reader to the article.
    Works to improve flow and readability of copy, challenge assumptions and incomplete reporting
    Demonstrate a good grasp of The Gazette's typographical style and the ability to use Gazette pagination templates to create layouts and populate them with news stories, photos, and other elements
    Displays stories in an appropriate mix based on relative news/interest values and ability to select the best pictures available
    Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the use of photos, whether they need to be played large or small for optimum effect
    Display good instincts regarding typographical and graphic/photo possibilities and good ideas for helping to improve the look of pages
    Makes appropriate choices when trimming a story ensuring that the intent of the story is maintained
    Uses resource material effectively
    Ensures accuracy and clarity and seeks additional information when needed.
    Establish rapports and works well in a teamwork environment
    Edits tightly, rewrites quickly and accurately
    Timely attendance during a regular and predictable schedule is required. Certain critical times of the work day exist during which duties of this position must be performed.

Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:

Must read, write, speak and understand English.
    Must be proficient with computers
    Able to quickly learn new computer programs, software or other tools
    Must have a strong understanding of journalism ethics
    Excellent problem-solving ability and decision making skills
    Able to react to change productively and handle other essential duties as assigned
    Deals well under pressure and deadlines

Minimum Education & Work Experience Requirements

Education: A Bachelor’s Degree in journalism or related discipline.

Experience: Two to three years of copy editing experience at similar size or larger news organization.

The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by most people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and requirements. Scheduling flexibility is required to accommodate changing business needs.

To apply for this position, please email your resume and portfolio samples to jim.oconnell@gazette.com.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1598956

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Any idea of the pay scale for this position?

I've always loved Colorado Springs.

3. NegativeVertical

NegativeVertical New Member

Let me just quickly urge you to be double sure to get things in writing from them before making plans to move there. I had an offer rescinded by them that almost left me jobless and apartmentless.

Pay scale? I was offered about 37.

4. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Wait, rescinded? What was the time frame on that?

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's about right, sadly. High 30s, 40 maybe.

Know the area. Can help with that via PM.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I get the feeling that $37g in Colorado Springs is less pay than $25g in rural Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri. :-\

7. MileHigh

Haven't scouted things down there lately, but $37K anywhere, frankly, is a stretch these days.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

You'll get by just fine on that salary in the springs. I'm two hours up the road in Fort Collins, which is more expensive to live, and have plenty of friends who make low 30s and get by OK. They don't live extravagantly, but go out on the weekends and enjoy what Colorado has to offer.

Would more money be better? When is it not? But a single person won't be living paycheck-to-paycheck on $37K in Colorado Springs.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

I know the area a bit as well, and while the salary is OK for a single person, the Springs is much more of a families place. There are tons of mid-level and above homes, and many of the apartments are of the if-I-must-until-I-buy variety. The area loves its sports, but it still has a lot of interest in the goings-on 70 miles up the road.

10. MileHigh

Fort Fun certainly more expensive than the Springs, but rents are high everywhere in the state, and as Editude pointed out, lot more family places down there. Yes, you can get buy on $37,000, but the Springs isn't for everyone. Still, there are thousands of worse places to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted