1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Copy Desk Chief, Philadelphia Inquirer.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Dec 27, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That apparently would be the case, with Sullivan in charge of the hiring process. Sounds one step removed from a universal desk.

2. Jim Jenks

Jim Jenks Member

That would be correct. The copy desk does not report to sports.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

So... Is the Sports Desk Chief there stuck with a bunch of nitwits who don't know a touchdown from a stolen base?

Universal desk.... give me a fucking break.

4. bronko

bronko New Member

STILL VACANT. STILL LOOKING.

5. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

I love the paper and have a great deal of respect for the sports section, even though I have to read it online if I want last night's results because the edition they distribute 90 miles out of town goes to bed around dinner time apparently.

Under normal circumstances, I'd say this would be a stellar opportunity for someone in the copy editing profession.

But the paper's financial situation really is scary. The new owners are highly leveraged and according to reports have told the unions there they need to squeeze a 10 percent cut in expenses. Like most places they are already operating very lean.

http://realitybitesback.blogspot.com/2008/01/philadelphia-newspapers-see-real-side.html

You almost have to be in a position to afford taking a gamble that you won't be victim to last hired-first fired cuts when they come.

If you are young and single, working at one of the many slave shops in this business, what the hell, go for it. If you have a family and a mortgage and kids to put through college, I'd take a real hard look before you leap.

Draft saved Draft deleted