1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Copy Desk Chief, Napa Valley Register, Napa, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

From journalismjobs.com ... check out No. 3

Company: Napa Valley Register
    Position:
    Sports Copy Desk Chief
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    July 30, 2008
    Job ID: 942578

Description:
    1. Job Summary: Work with sports editor, sports writers, multimedia producer and photo editor to create dynamic, reader-oriented sports front page packages making best use of available images, graphic elements, info boxes and headline type. Design sports pages on a regular basis, edit stories on screen and on page as necessary, proofread as necessary, upload daily news content onto Web as necessary. Take lead in coordinating night sports desk crew in matters including design, headline and journalistic standards, understanding of production processes and responsibilities to other departments, scheduling and training. Limited writing opportunities are available and expected, especially during prep football season. Compilation of prep sports standings for score agate page is expected on a weekly basis. Conduct press check of daily editions when on late shift. Lead and maintain a consistent, clean look in the design of the sports section through color palettes and graphics styles. Maintain appropriate self-management skills as necessary to assist in the pursuit of customer satisfaction of Napa Valley Publishing Company.

2. Relationships: Reports to the sports editor; works with photographers, sports writers and Web editors; other Lee newspapers; communicates frequently with reporters and photographers.

3. Communication: Speaks well of the company; communicates with peers and supervisors in a respectful and professional manner; is mature in dealing with ambiguous situations.

Please send resume to mokeefe@napanews.com

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I called this shop to consult with them about their Web site. Their site is fantastic, ranked by one organization as the best small paper site in the country: http://www.napavalleyregister.com/articles/2008/05/19/news/local/doc4831bbd5d1380465932229.txt
    So if you are looking to move in the direction of new media, this shop appears to be a good stop.

Plus, it's Napa Valley.

3. thebigd

thebigd Member

Run as far away as you can from this place. I worked there for several years, and it waqs one of the worst experiences of my life. Don't judge a paper by its website. Whoever does that is headed for disappointment in my opinion. Leadership is very weak at this place

4. goneup

goneup Member

How big is this place anyhow? And regarding requirement No. 3, are they replacing the King Goon or what?

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

No. 3 is a strange requirement. You want someone to speak well of you? Earn it.

I'm going on memory, but when I consulted on their Web site stuff, I recall being told it was something like 25k (if I remember right) with a 25-person newsroom.

6. thebigd

thebigd Member

Very doubtful it's a 25-person newsroom. After I left they went to 4 full-time in sports from 3 and a weekend agate clerk. I talked to a guy who recently left there and he said the executive sports editor still doesn't paginate. He's been there a zillion years. When I was there the paper was afternoon m-f and mornings on the weekend. Sunds like that might have changed, or sports is just doing its page at night. On what they will pay you there you can't afford a house I can tell you that.

Draft saved Draft deleted