1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Content Editor, Orlando Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Here is the background on sports editor opening in Cincy (this is from June 10 or so):

Cincinnati Enquirer editor Tom Callinan made the following e-mail announcement to the staff on Thursday:

“Josh Pichler has been named Executive Business Editor, in charge of all Business operations, with special attention to focusing online and print coverage on strategic goals, digital initiatives, and visible community outreach and engagement.

“Lee Ann Hamilton will retain her role as Business Editor, responsible for planning and daily management of Business content, with an emphasis on enterprise and Sundays.

“The position of Sports Editor will be posted immediately and should be filled very soon.”

Hamilton, who had been deputy managing editor/First Amendment and special projects editor, has been moved from the metro desk more than a year ago when the paper laid off Carolyn Pione, who was the business editor.

Pichler, who is associate managing editor/sports, is the son of a former Kroger CEO. Pichler says he is pursuing an MBA.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Part of me really likes it if Barry is doing this. I think showing some faith in the overall future of newspaper companies -- not just the print product -- is a great thing. Hope it works out for him if true.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Cincinnati's one of those papers that could use a makeover looks-wise. Content's strong most days, especially Reds and Bengals.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I agree. Daugherty's great too. But needs a redesign.

The paper, not Daugherty.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It's true - I saw the note he sent to the staff. He'll be in Orlando three more weeks.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know that I agree with SF's assessment that Forbis going to Cincy shows any kind of faith in the print product. I see it as more, this is the best job open and he's the best available.

Forbis is one of the best in the business and Cincy is damn lucky to have him. Most of the writers I know who have worked for Forbis swear by him, and not at him and in this business, that's a rare thing.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Great guy who I, of course, had a close association with for five-plus years. He'll do well in the Queen City. That much is obvious.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

So, is Orlando hiring again or what?

9. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Has Barry taken over in Cincy yet?

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

End of the month.

Draft saved Draft deleted