1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Content Editor, Orlando Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

The Orlando Sentinel seeks an experienced Sports Content Editor to take a leadership role in day-to-day operations of our award-winning Sports section. This content editor should have at least five years of experience overseeing sports coverage or working with reporters. The editor will lead a team of seven reporters and will directly supervise priority topics in print and online. Strong planning, editing and communication skills and proven aptitude for using social media to expand our reach are essentials.

The Orlando Sentinel is a consistent APSE honoree, including an APSE Triple Crown in 2006 for Top 10 daily, Sunday and special sections. We aggressively cover the Orlando Magic, Florida Gators, Florida State Seminoles, UCF Knights and more than 80 high schools.

Send resume, cover letter, references and no more than six work samples that demonstrate your leadership skills to:

Tim Stephens
    AME/Sports Topic Manager
    Orlando Sentinel
    633 N. Orange Ave.
    Orlando, FL 32801

For information, e-mail sentinelsportseditor@yahoo.com. No phone calls, please.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Ye gods.

3. ianguerin

ianguerin New Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again...
    Tim Stephens is one of the handful of guys I'd go back into the biz full-time for. He will get the best out of whomever is working under him, young or old.
    Obviously this is a big-boy gig, as this person will be responsible for running much of the day-to-day. Best of luck to the applicants, not to mention the Sentinel.

4. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

To clarify, the editor hired will have seven direct reports. Our staff is currently 28.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"The editor...will directly supervise priority topics" -- presumably under the Topic Manager?

I have a headache.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I ask this in all seriousness, because I'd be interested in this position: What would qualify as "six work samples that demonstrate your leadership skills."

Would this be the lead editor position on a special section, or something?

Or, would it be more esoteric examples of some instances, which you would have to reference and explain, about when you showed good decision-making or staff-development ability?

If you were going to send something in for this position, what would it be?

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

My question exactly, WriteThinking. I'm confused as well.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying, Tim. When I heard seven I thought "Geez, I know the Trib's been cutting, but THAT much?"... good luck to everyone who applies.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

A plum gig, even in the roughest of journalism times. I am sure Mr. Stephens will see PLENTY of candidates.

rb

10. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

Follow up: Already have received several resumes. If you wish to be considered or need more info, please contact me at the e-mail listed above. It is my hope that we can fill this position quickly.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I have been told a few phone interviews have started.

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

This one is down to finalists, we have learned.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted