1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Comm majors

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

A local college will begin offering a sports communication concentration within its comm department and I'm wondering how many other schools have similar programs?

2. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

Ithaca College has a Sport Media program, which used to be called Sports Information and Communication.

That's the only one I know of.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

University of Phoenix' online college has a VCR repair class. It's about as useful as a sports comm degree.

4. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Mizzougrad96

You are funny as hell. Love that one ;D

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I had plenty of friends who majored in Comm or Sports Industry. Don't do it.

Major in English or History if you don't know what you want to do. If you have any affinity for math, major in Econ or Finance, or well, Math. Don't major in Communications or anything so vague. If you want to work in Media Relations or in Marketing for a team, major in business. Go to grad school.

Regardless of what you think you want to do, get good grades and try and learn something in college. Trust those who tell you the same.

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Indiana University
    Evansville

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sally Struthers called. She said your diploma was ready!!!

8. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

Sometimes I miss those commercials. The voice-over chick saying, "You can get a career in these amazing fields," while 30 of the worst jobs this side of slavery scroll across the screen.

The worst part is the poor schmoes (sp?) at home that watch those careers, call and ask for that associates degree in VCR Repair from University State Tech Mail-Away College A&M.

Check that... The worst part is they probably got a job somewhere and now 10 years later are making more than the starting pay I would receive as a sports reporter.

Damn it.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Like that.

Fortunately, no irregardless [/crossthreading]

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A friend of mine went to Northwestern as an undergrad. He took out all kinds of loans to pay for it. After he graduated, he was dead-set on living in northern California, and since he couldn't find a job there, he went to Stanford to get his Masters (I think in English).

Then, he finally got a job in journalism, covering preps at a small paper in the Bay Area.

He had over $100K in student loans and was making $11 an hour.

He's teaching journalism at a pretty good J-school now, but I'd bet serious money he hasn't paid back that student loan 11 years later.

11. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

See, I proved my point! (Or I don't proofread anonymous message board posts)

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

He's not alone in the default department.

Draft saved Draft deleted