1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports columnist, Sun Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MileHigh, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Why is Ethan Skolnick referred to as "Juice"?

2. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Think it was a PBPost thing. He arrived at 1HP with that nickname.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Because he killed his ex-wife and a waiter.

4. With that kind of history, it's a good thing he didn't get beaten to a pulp.

Ha, that's a funny nickname.

5. WerenCole

WerenCole New Member

Same old voices in the game of musical chairs. I would go out of the market and company for a dynamic young voice to shake things up a bit.

6. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

I can't think of a single under-30 columnist who could jump into this fray and make an immediate impact. There are some talented young writers, sure, but column writing is a completely different challenge. Everybody thinks they can make the transition. Few are able. I would love to see an out of market hire, but if you want impact, you're gonna have to get one of the big boys. I worked with a guy who would be a perfect fit in this market. Will the OS/S-S pay for that? Probably not.

7. This makes a lot of sense to me. I used to work in South Florida (albeit very briefly), and there's an awful lot of incestuous hiring between the three local papers. It's an odd practice, and I find it lazy.

Although I think Israel is terrific. Not sure why he'd jump, though. Seems like a lateral move, if that.

8. HarryNutsack

HarryNutsack New Member

Who would want to go work for a Tribune paper these days? That company is fucked with a capital F.

9. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, who would want a columnist job paying low six figures in one of the best sports cities in the country?

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Fort Lauderdale is one of the best sports cities in the country?

11. Mizzougrad96

Miami is.

12. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Is Del Boca Vista anywhere near here?

Draft saved Draft deleted