1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports columnist latest casualty in Santa Barbara

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mpcincal, Feb 7, 2007.

1. doctor x

doctor x Member

Our little shop was one of 6-7 properties NYT sold back in 2000. McCaw reportedly was considering the whole lot of us, but then settled on Santa Barbara.

There but for the grace of God...

2. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I know Zant quite well, but didn't agree with what he did. It was a desperate cry from people who are really hurting, people who can't stand back and endure anymore. But it's one thing to protest management with a symbolic show of unity and another thing to try and, out of spite, harm the company you work for. Just because management does it to you ... well, they're management. That's what they do.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This is what happened. I agree. I don't have the time or energy to chronicle the calamity of errors the employees and readers had to endure.
    But, read your paragraph again. It is so sad. So sad.
    (We should draw the distinction between owner/publisher and management. Jerry Roberts, a distinguished editor, was the editorial management. Was.)

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Now, let me get this straight.
    You tell your customers not to be customers, and you expect the people who own your company to keep paying you? Do I have that right?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Are you a union member?

6. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Good point about management/ownership distinction. In my mind, anybody above me is ambiguous management.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

John Zant knew full well what he was doing.
    You don't last 38 years at any one stop without a certain level of acumen.

8. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Oh, I know he did.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I have spent a grand total of seven months of my life in unions. Four months with AFTRA, which was useless. Another three months at a trade union for a summer job, and that union featherbedded like there was no tomorrow and nearly bankrupted the company.
    I don't miss it.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

From everything I've seen on the situation there, McCaw is despicable and the decline of the newspaper is sad and deplorable. I feel horrible for the employees there.

But if I had employees who pulled that stunt I wouldn't have waited through the weekend to fire them.

Draft saved Draft deleted