1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports columnist Ken Burger moving to B section.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SCEditor, Jan 4, 2009.

1. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Just skimming the (Charleston) Post and Courier online, and read Ken Burger's column. It says he'll start a new column on Tuesday, but is he retiring? Read like a farewell column, so I can only assume he's gone.

http://www.charleston.net/news/2009/jan/04/the_day_circus_left_town67205/

Edit: I also meant to say that I grew up reading Burger. He spent 21 years as a sports columnist, and as a 26-year-old who grew up in Charleston, he had a profound effect on me getting into journalism.

2. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

Re: Ken Burger says good-bye?

I gathered he was still there after reading. His phone and email are still listed. Regardless, that was an awesome column done by another one of the good guys.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

To me, seems pretty simple. Assuming the sections at this paper are configured as most, he's moving from sports to general interest columnist (1B).

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It looks like he's moving to the B section and out of sports. He just talked about how he didn't plan to stay in sports so long.

There's nothing in there that says he's leaving. Just that his new column will be on 1B.

EDIT: SF beat me to it.

5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Now, I feel like an idiot. I didn't even think about the B section being the local news section. That makes plenty of sense. Thank goodness there are smarter people on this board than me.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Naw, just blind squirrels.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Does that make Sapakoff the No. 1 guy in sports now? Great guy, great writer.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Burger, 1995: "I love women. I love basketball. I hate women's basketball."

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Anyone who has ever had the pleasure of running into Ken Burger along the college roadway has enjoyed a treat. He is one of the funniest, nicest people you can find. Good luck to him in his new assignment.

10. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/dec/28/burger_hicks_offer_regular_local_columns66409/

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Four days a week of locla columns certainly isn't retiring. That's a tough gig.

12. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Ken seems pretty happy about this move. He said that he moved "temporarily" from news to sports 21 years ago and just never left. He's a fantastic writer who has always been a news guy at heart - he'll be missed around the ACC and SEC's sports arenas, but this is a great move for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted