1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Columnist - Indianapolis Star

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matt Stephens, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think that $100K number is way low on Kravitz, but is probably about what I would expect the new guy to get.

3. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Fran: I keep waiting on my man to announce the new person overseeing sports. It's his newsroom, after all.
    This was all part of the great reorg. So, not an outside hire, but a really good result.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

@Recovering: You probably are right on both counts.
    @1HP: Newell?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

OK, fair enough. But being that it's Gannett, and to a lesser extent that it's Indy (fairly inexpensive place to live), I wouldn't automatically say it's a six-figure gig. I hope I'm wrong and the company makes it rain for the new hire.

6. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Doc is making six figures and since the publishers in Indy and Cincy don't quite see eye to eye, I can't see that happening.
    Plus if you're looking for a mentor and someone who works collaboratively, Doc isn't it. He goes to his own beat which is why he's good.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Indy is so cheap to live that anything in the six figures range would make for a pretty comfortable existence, especially if one also has a working spouse. No hockey or MLB, but Indiana, Purdue, and Butler hoops are all treated like local pro franchises along with the Pacers and Colts. It also seems to be one of the rare markets that treats the WNBA like a major beat, as well.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Anything is possible. If Indy promoted from within (is there anyone there left who could be promoted?) then I think it would be possible that they were paying less than six figures. I know of columnists at much smaller Gannett properties who were making close to $100K.

Of course there are markets bigger than Indianapolis who have replaced a super expensive columnist with someone for less than half the price.

9. JSkebba

JSkebba New Member

Gregg Doyel from CBSSports.com got this, according to his Twitter. Well then.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Well, they went to Cincy, all right ... (Hi, Greggggg!)

11. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

That seems like a pretty big hire.

12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Great hire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.