1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Collectors Digest cutbacks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I would imagine there are some people who have read this over the years. Started as a mom and pop operation in the '70s, was eventually bought by a small publisher in Wisconsin who had a number of other hobby-related publications.

Pre-Internet, this thing was huge -- a tabloid-sized paper that was so crammed with ads it often had to broken into two sections and mailed in a plastic wrap. They went from biweekly to weekly and had to be raking in cash.

Then eBay happened and it started shrinking. They cut back to magazine size, averaged about 36 pages, stopped using freelancers and started recycling 10-year-old stories.

They just announced they're going back to biweekly and had some staff cutbacks as well. Editor TS O'Connell exits after almost 20 years with no plans announced.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I haven't thought about that publication in 20 years, which I guess kinda sums it up. Like the 1980s Topps baseball cards that are collecting dust in my garage. Hope everyone lands on their feet, though.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Holy shit. When TS leaves that publication you know something's wrong. Best of luck to everyone affected.

Draft saved Draft deleted