1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Center or Saturday Night Live?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Feb 13, 2011.

1. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

I have all of the Big Four sports leagues' networks, and the combination of them has made it unnecessary for me to watch SportsCenter. I'm into hockey and baseball more than the other two, and MLB Network and NHL Network are both excellent with the highlights. The presence of those four channels has seriously rendered SportsCenter irrelevant.

One other thing I think is interesting is the way fantasy sports sites are integrating video from the leagues. NFL.com did this with their fantasy football game this past fall -- and I had mixed reactions to that. The video quality was just OK, not good. But the point is you could see highlights of your fantasy players while the game was still in progress, which you could never do before. Today CBSSports.com announced they're integrating in-game highlights from MLB.com into their Baseball Commissioner leagues. It's only a matter of time before the NBA and NHL strike similar deals, and this will become the standard in fantasy sports. So if you play fantasy sports, you're going to get just about everything you want to see just by keeping your browser window open while games are being played.

Really interesting the way the delivery of highlights has changed.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Even "Baseball Tonight" can be maddening at times, with the "we must lead with the Yankees or Red Sox, even if it's just the wives' softball game" mindset that permates the WWL.

One other thing I love about Quick Pitch is they'll use the calls of the local announcers on the big moment of the game, instead of just running a silent clip: Scully on the Dodgers, Miller or KrukandKuip in San Francisco, Marty Brennaman in Cincinnati, ect.

Draft saved Draft deleted