1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports cartoonists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PhilaYank36, May 27, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

We are always going back and forth about writers/reporters that we like & don't like, etc, etc... Here's a change-of-pace: who do you think are some of the better sports cartoonists in the biz? My vote goes to Mike Scott of the Star Ledger. The guy comes up with some great ideas and does some pretty funny caricatures of the NY/NJ athletes, who are never in short supply.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Drew Litton is the best sports cartoonist I've ever seen...

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The late Willard Mullin.

End of thread.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for that. No, I'm not him, but his desk is 20 feet from mine. Great guy and does some great work.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Drew hits some home runs, but he also whiffs badly some of the time. He also (at least he used to, when I was working at papers that used him) beat the same dead horses way too much of the time.

Sports cartoonists seem to be a dying breed -- for that matter, so are edit-page cartoonists. In the olden days, almost every paper bigger than a midsize daily had one, now everybody uses syndicated stuff.

6. Mizzougrad96

I think Litton is one of the few who actually does about 3-4 a week... It seems like a lot of places just do it on Sundays...

7. Mizzougrad96

This was non-sports related, but after Charles Schultz died, one of Litton's cartoons came across the wire showing the Peanuts characters crying. I'm sure the cartoon wouldn't have the same impact today, but on that day it was enough to put a lump in your throat...

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes, the star-ledger's mike scott is one of the greats. does political 'toons, too. ;D 8) ;D

9. spwritenj

spwritenj New Member

are we discussing mike scott?

[​IMG]

because no discussion of mike scott is complete ...

[​IMG]

without bracket boy!

[​IMG]

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Brilliant pull. Definitely Scott's defining creation.

11. Way back in the day, these guys were the most powerful guys in the section.
    The guy in my local paper growing up literally named almost every high school team in the area.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not only is Scotty a great artist, he's a damn good guy too.

Draft saved Draft deleted