1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Card Collectors Publication Seeks Columnists

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by afcassidy, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afcassidy

afcassidy New Member

Nevermind.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

A magazine about card collecting in 2011. [blue]This is going to work.[/blue]

3. afcassidy

afcassidy New Member

Thanks anyway.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Whoa, whoa, whoa! That's quite a bit of money you're throwing around there!

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Question for you afcassidy,

Why would a fairly succesful company paying dirt for the work? After taxes I'm thinking this person is going to make about $20 per article. They can make three times that doing freelance work for just about any newspaper. You might mean well, but your offer is insulting to professional journalists. May karma come to you in the form of a guacamole stain on your most valuable Nolan Ryan rookie card.

6. afcassidy

afcassidy New Member

Got a couple of good responses and I do appreciate those. Filled 1 or 2 of the posts I listed. I'm removing the rest.

For the others who have commented, I am terribly sorry for having offended you. I didn't realize it was possible to pay print newspaper rates for a relatively new online publication in a relatively narrow niche space. It's not like the ad market is impossibly difficult right now or anything.

This was posted as fun freelance work and would be great for anyone who is into card collecting. The articles would have been short and the pay not unreasonable, particularly because it includes the strong chance of getting free product for review as part of the offer.

What do you want for writing 400 words about baseball cards? A gold medal and a retirement plan? Good luck with that.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Relatively new online publication? Or successful online publication? Which one is it? Either way I think you should pay more. And yes a retirement plan would be nice. Not sure what purpose a gold medal would serve.

8. afcassidy

afcassidy New Member

Successful blog being relaunched as a more complete publication. Blog was netting 1,000-2,000 visits a day.

I would love to be able to pay more, but of course I'll be losing money for quite some time just on what I offered here.

Most of the writing is being done for free or just in exchange for product.

Anyway, clearly you had no interest in this and just want to hassle people who offer freelance jobs at rates you don't find attractive. So best of luck to you, I'm sure the healthy growth of print newspaper sports coverage will provide that retirement plan you're looking for.

Everybody knows that print newspapers are where it's at. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.