1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports burnout: Do you ever get tired of sports?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Mar 19, 2009.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Re: Does anyone else get sick of discussing sports?

WFW.

2. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Funny ... I'm the opposite. I found so much relief in not having to be Super Sports Girl that I broke away and stopped watching a lot of stuff.

I'm slowly getting back into three years later. But I promise myself not to be anywhere near as obsessive as I had to be back then.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I know exactly how you feel, I Digress, though I love Mrs. OOP in spite of her lack of interest in sports. She more than makes up for it in other areas.

I went to a friend's place to watch the Super Bowl while she stayed home with our daughter, which made her very happy. She didn't want me getting loud and waking up little OOP. She called my cell right after Santonio Holmes' touchdown to tell me she had flipped by to see what was happening and actually found herself cheering on that game-winning drive. I really wish I had been there to see it.

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Truth be told, I sometimes get tired of writing about it, as well ...

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yes, especially with idiots at the office who know about 0.1 x 10^-98 about sports than I do, and yet CONTINUALLY launch into these long gasbag discussions every single day (especially about games that were on TV last night, when they were home drinking beer, and I was, you know, WORKING -- apparently they think we spend every night in the sports department just sitting around watching TV). Get to work, will ya??

They're the ones who get stunned, and even upset (to the point of complaining to the bosses about it) when I tell them I didn't watch the Super Bowl on TV.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't even spend much time on the Sports and News board because I'm getting so tired of sports. I hope that changes when baseball comes around, but right now, I sleep, work out and go to work. That's really it.

My life's not exciting, and it's not too busy to catch up on the sports news, but I really have no interest in it right now. I'm sure my mind-set will change when I'm not trucking around to fields and gyms during the summer.

I never thought I'd be like this.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Like most of you probably were, I was an absolute sports fanatic growing up. I memorized all the stats for all sports going back in history when I was still in elementary school. Sportswriting was a natural fit for me. After a few years, though, I found myself not caring about what was going on in the sports world outside of my beat, and then only because it was my job to be fully informed. I quit writing about four years ago, and today there are some major league pro sports teams from whose roster I could not name one person. I still get to sporting events once in a while, but it's never my idea, and I frankly don't pay a great deal of attention when I go.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

When people call in and ask for the Duke or Ohio State score from last night, I enjoy asking, "Basketball?"

"Yeah, basketball."

"Men's or women's?

"Men's. Men's basketball. Sorry."

"No problem. Just making sure. Let me look that up for you. I know the softball team won by 3."

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Who doesn't know about the softball team?

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

When's the last time anybody scored three in a softball game? They'll know you're lying right there.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The minutiae gets tiresome. I don't care about a basketball team's 7-8-9 rotation, who the backup point guard is or if a team can sign a left-handed set-up man or a fourth starter.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Same here.

Other than sports and bad music (hi IJAG!), I know diddly poo.

Draft saved Draft deleted