1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports bureau reporter, Cheyenne, Wy.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Come join a new sports bureau that features two of the more dynamic sports staffs in Wyoming. WyoSports combines the efforts of the Wyoming Tribune Eagle in Cheyenne and the Laramie Boomerang to provide southeast Wyoming with the best local sports coverage around. We are looking for a self-motivated journalist who would be based in Laramie and would have an opportunity to cover a wide range of sports. High school sports in this one high school town are huge, and there are opportunities to cover several sports at the University of Wyoming, a Division I school and the only four-year college in the state. Along with high school and college sports, you also will cover baseball in the summer, professional rodeo and a myriad of community and youth sports. We are looking for a well-rounded writer who not only can produce gamers and features but trend pieces and enterprise work as well. Page design experience isn’t required, but some agate help on the copy desk will be included in the workload. Laramie is a college town of about 25,000 located at the foot of the Snowy Mountain Range, where outdoor activities abound. Laramie also is a short drive away from Fort Collins and Denver, Colo. Please send resume, cover letter and writing samples to: Robert Gagliardi, WyoSports Editor, 702 West Lin-colnway, Cheyenne, WY 82001, or via e-mail to rgagliardi@wyosports.net. Please, no phone calls.

2. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Very interesting. Pay scale $25K to $30K.

3. dm19

dm19 Member

All I know is that the AP looooooovvves picking up WTE and Boomerang stories on the Cowboys. And most of the time, they're pretty darn good.

The two newsrooms are separated by 50 minutes and have a combined circulation of about 20,000. I'm curious to see how this works for these two papers.

4. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket New Member

Any info on the town? I know there's the only major state college there, but what's the word on housing costs, price of living, etc.? Craigslist seems pretty mixed and only offers examples in the 2-3 bedroom range. Also, how's the nightlife?

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No state income tax in Wyoming. Only been through Laramie once, so no insight into the nightlife, but you're only an hour from Fort Collins and two from Denver.

6. bwright

bwright Member

I hear the beaches there are fantastic.

7. dm19

dm19 Member

bwright with the dynamite Garth Brooks reference! ... in all honesty, that song is about rodeo and if you get this job, expect to see lots of it. and that's not necessarily a bad thing. some of the best cowboys in the world are from wyoming.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Laramie has a nice downtown, the usual chain stores, etc. Housing is a little more expensive than you would ordinarily think. It gets cold in the winter and is windy.

The mountain about 30 miles west are beautiful, and UW and Laramie High are the only shows in town; there's also a wood-bat summer league baseball team.

The Boomerang has improved its layout and design quite a bit the past few years, but still does a lot of coverage on Little League, etc., in the summer. Most of the Boomerang's rodeo coverage is during Jubilee Days, in early July; I've never read of Boomerang guys over at Frontier Days.

Is Bob Hammond or David Watson stepping down at the Boomerang, or is this a new hire? Hammond is a Laramie legend.

This could be a nice job if you didn't mind living in a small, somewhat isolated city.

9. azom

azom Member

Interesting situation between Laramie and Cheyenne papers, as they're both owned by the same chain. Cheyenne's press prints both papers and, slowly, they've been working at integrating coverage, with sports taking the lead on that. For the past few months, they've shared content, and wyosports.net is the name (and eventual Web site) that the two sports departments will operate under, as I understand it. Could end up being an awesome arrangement; could be some toe-stepping as former rival papers combine coverage.

I can't speak to the exact staffing situation by which this opening was created, though.

I live in Laramie right now (grad school) so if you have questions about the town, let me know. Night life is college town-ish, but limited by a fairly small school in a fairly small town. Laramie itself is cold and windy and isolated, although Denver is only a couple hours and you get used to long drives living out here.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Were I not where I am now, I'd jump on this. I do love me some Wyoming.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Cold, windy and isolated doesn't BEGIN to describe it when you cross over the border from Colorado to Wyoming... but once you reach cities like Laramie and Cheyenne, the cities are pretty decent. Good for an up and coming individual.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

287 between Fort Collins and Laramie is a beautiful drive. In the day.

This may be a new hire as I've seen stories from all three of the Boomerang's regular sports writers on their web page this week.

Draft saved Draft deleted