1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports bribery charged in University of Toledo scandal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Mar 30, 2007.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Re: Point shaving at Toledo football?

Possible major sanctions? Or a candidate for a Death Penalty?

And Big Boy is not hungry.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

If recruiting violations at USC mean the death penalty for Toledo, what does this mean?

And did this guy in Michigan ever work with Ed Martin?

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Dear BYH,

I don't associate with known gamblers from the grave.

Sincerely,

Ed Martin

Seriously, if Toledo gets fucking nailed hard, then it tells me that the NCAA has no problem going after the little or mid-sized peons and schools like Kentucky, Alabama, and USC can get a slap in the hand. If that is so, that's bullshit.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Come on gang, there's rather a large difference between recruiting violations and fixing games. Oddly enough, I think the NCAA is sterner about the former since they're institutional. When Ric Kuhn went down, I don't believe the Boston College basketball program was sanctioned at all.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I've seen guys on Saturday placing parlay bets every few hours or so, having something riding on just about every game played. They don't give a shit if it's the MAC or the SEC, just that they can bet on it. Who do you think is watching those Thursday night WAC games and C-USA games? They ain't Southern Miss fans.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fuck the NCAA. This is the FBI... whole different playing field.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Not totally analogous, but did BC even get hit with sanctions during the Henning-era gambling scandal?

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not that I recall, wicked.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I agree. All the cracks about the MAC aside, this is serious stuff.

10. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Not sure what the NCAA can do about this one. It can sanction players, but the program, I'm not so sure.I guess they could trot out the lack of institutional control argument.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Someone posted this link on one of the Ohio sports message boards I frequent. A very interesting read.

http://forum.therx.com/showthread.php?t=316210

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Should've known something like this was possible. Two seasons ago when Toledo was beating the shit out of everying, and helping me win a bundle with a local bookie who thought it strange I continually picked Toledo with the traditional powers in my 3-team parlays, the Rockets mysteriously didn't cover against Buffalo — woeful Buffalo; worst team in I-A. The game was a lock. Toledo was favored by 26 or 27, and they should've won by 55. But they only won by a touchdown or less; can't remember the score. But it ruined my parlay, which would've won me $500. Oh well, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted