1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Books,

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dkphxf, Dec 1, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Chris Matthews had Jimmy Breslin on Hard Ball tonight to talk about his book Branch Rickey. They discussed Rickey's signing of Jackie Robinson as today is the anniversary of Robinson's Major League debut.

http://www.amazon.com/Branch-Rickey-Penguin-Lives-Breslin/dp/0670022497

Jackie is almost a mythical figure in my mind. What he was able to accomplish did as much as anyone to change race relations and the perception of African Americans in America.

Is there anyone on here who's old enough and lucky enough to remember seeing him play in person?

My dad's uncle, who played for the Yankees, Dodgers, and Browns before WWII finished his playing career after the war with Montreal of the International League and was teammates with Jackie in '46.

My uncle told me stories of going to watch him play.

Seems like such a different time.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just read "The Last Best League," about the 2003 Chatham A's in the Cape Cod League. It's an excellent book.

And while it's not a "sports book" in the traditional sense, Pat Conroy's "My Losing Season" is an outstanding effort.

3. mrbio

mrbio Member

It's good, not quite as good as "Heavyweight Armageddon: The Tyson-Lewis Championship Battle"

;

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I liked "Crazy '08" by Cait Murphy about the 1908 pennant races, mostly focusing on the NL race with Merkle's Boner and the Cubs ultimately winning, but also looking at the race between the White Sox and Tigers in the AL.
    In a somewhat similar pick, I'm currently reading "Forward Pass" by Phillip Brooks about the legalization and of passing in football.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

A master stroke.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Enjoyed "Crazy '08," and just finished Richard Hoffer's "Something in the Air," about the Mexico City Olympics. Anyone who thought George Foreman was just being a great patriot needs to read it.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that it is good, but I am just tired of the weepy Brooklyn Dodgers genre.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When does the Montville book on Evel come out? Soon, right? I suppose I could go look on Amazon but what's the fun in that?

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I get what you mean, but that genre's a money maker. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting somebody who says they were a Brooklyn Dodgers fan. Cha-ching. Thing about this book is it's as much about the changing of Brooklyn and Robert Moses as it is baseball or the Dodgers.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If you're sick of the Dodgers, I would also endorse "The Giants of the Polo Grounds," by Noel Hynd, which, unfortunately, scrimps a little on the final years of the franchise in New York.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The book on the '08 season by Cait Murphy was interesting. I just thought it had the potential to be better than it was. It was rich subject material. The hardest thing about reading it was that she wrote it in the present tense, to the point that she was forcing things from 100 years ago into the present tense. I found it really odd.

Draft saved Draft deleted