1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Books,

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dkphxf, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A few others:

Bill (Spaceman) Lee's biography, "The Wrong Stuff". It's almost 30 years old, but it's funny as hell.

Mike Sowell's "The Pitch That Killed." about Ray Chapman's death.

Stefan Fatsis' "A Few Seconds of Panic" about his life trying to be a Broncos kicker.

Austin Murphy's "The Sweet Season", when he followed the St. John's (Minn.) football team around for a season.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Fab Five" is a complete work of fiction.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yes, late for this year, but for the archives when this topic comes up again, Roger Kahn's "Golden Dozen:"

http://www.nytimes.com/books/97/04/06/home/baseball-dozen.html

4. Starman

Two very similar classics:

"The Glory of their Times," Lawrence Ritter, 1965. Interviews with a dozen or so notable baseball players from the 1890s to the 1920s -- as much a look at Americana of a century ago than just the ballgames (although there's plenty of that, too).

"The Game that Was," Myron Cope, 1970. The football counterpart to TGOTT (acknowledged in the introduction), focusing on pro football players from the 1900s up until the early 1950s.

While "Glory" has become an absolute perennial, re-released multiple times in new cover packaging, etc etc, and is available in almost any bookstore, Cope's book has almost slid off the radar screen. I had to search fairly intensely to grab a copy off Amazon a couple years ago.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It beats Star Wars, in the fantasy catagory.

6. ringer

ringer Active Member

I just found a little gem this morning.

It's "American Victory" by Bill Plaschke, and it's the (auto)biography of 2008 Olympic wrestling gold medalist Henry Cejudo.

I'm 30 pages in and I can't put it down.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You do know I wrote that part just for slappy, right?

8. Starman

Yeah. Awesome! ;)

9. New one: Tough Guy by Bob Probert. Heartbreaking story about addiction, with some wild stories about life in Junior Hockey, as the NHL's most feared enforcer and trying times with loved ones. Probert died in July at age 45.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

A friend of mine wrote this, so I'm biased, but this is a fun read about one of the LSU basketball program's most memorable nights.

February 11, 1978. All five LSU starters fouled out against the greatest college basketball team in the nation, the No. 1 ranked Kentucky Wildcats. Left on the floor for the Tigers in overtime were a walk-on, a black Jewish freshman from New York, a senior with a bum knee, and two white boys: one, a dentist's son from New Orleans, and the other one a 7-foot surfer dude from Florida. On the bench coaching them was Dale Brown, a wild man from North Dakota. In a rivalry and a game that involved roughness on and off the court, self-gratification, race relations and international folk dance, the largest crowd in LSU basketball history watched one of the greatest upsets, and a turning point for two basketball programs.

http://www.amazon.com/Five-Night-Dale-Browns-Bench/dp/1608446131

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Agassi's Open is one of my recent favorites. In soccer, The Damned Utd. was a fine piece of historical fiction.

12. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Any thoughts on investigative works? I was blown away by "Scoreboard, Baby" and look forward to "Play Their Hearts Out" as soon as it becomes cheaper.

Draft saved Draft deleted