1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Books Update

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by swenk, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That's why I brought it up.

2. swenk

swenk Member

Regarding the Santo discussion: I did a book for him some years ago (maybe early 90s?), "For Love of Ivy," with a publisher whom I believe is now defunct. He later did an autobiographical DVD with his son as the producer.

The book you really want--and will never get--is The Uncensored Ernie Banks. For 20+ years he's been talking about writing a book; for a while, he only wanted David Halberstam to write it. If he would ever tell his real story (as Hank Aaron did), THAT would be a book. Not going to happen.

Otherwise, no new deals to report. :-\

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Good deal, Swenk. Funny how a bunch of Cubs off that wonderful '69 team would make terrific book subjects because of their careers on the field and inteersting lives off of it---not just Santo and Banks, but also Fergie Jenkins and probably Billy Williams.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Absolutely. And don't forget the most interesting life of all: the manager's. But his book's already been written.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Of course, the real joy of following all the world's books/threads re: The Lip are all the snotty, insulting comments virtually everyone makes about the miserable lowlife prick in all the baseball books which mention embarassing personal gibes/observations about Scummo, in passing.

6. clutchcargo

Just one more quick review of Santo---eight straight years of 25+ HRs and 90+ RBIs, and seven straight years of MVP votes, including four or five top-8's in the voting. Almost exactly one RBI for each K---excellent ratio. Off top of my head, I don't remember exactly how good a fielder he was, but I"m guessing he was really good. That was a great infield---also Kessinger, Beckert and Banks. I'm not a Cubs fan at all, but hard not to be at times.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

8. swenk

swenk Member

I'm not sure this is really a sports book, but certainly worth including here:

Cyclist Davis Phinney, with SI's Austin Murphy, THE HAPPINESS OF PURSUIT, to Houghton Mifflin.

The description from PublishersMarketplace: "...a personal story of fathers and sons and bikes, as Phinney faces his steepest climb, a battle with early onset Parkinson's disease (the "bodysnatcher") while his son, Taylor Phinney, makes his own ascent in the world of cycling..."

9. In Exile

In Exile Member

Houghton buying again? Or an older deal just announced?

10. swenk

swenk Member

Wondering the same. Will find out and let you know. :)

11. swenk

swenk Member

No new sports books to report, but there's still some spending out there: In the last couple of days, we've seen a $2.5 million advance for Condi Rice, and an alleged $2 million (cough gak cough) for Kathy Griffin's memoir.

12. clutchcargo

Kathy Griffin!!!!??

Just goes to show how a total no-talent with the right p.r. person can hit it big. This is crap. Totally. I don't see how anyone can regard her as funny on ANY level.

Draft saved Draft deleted