1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Books Update

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by swenk, Feb 12, 2009.

1. sg86

sg86 Member

Selena Roberts has been working on one for quite some time now, hence this whole steroids thing.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

". . . no-holds-barred book . . . "

". . . authorized book . . . "

I'm pretty certain I know what you mean, and I'm not busting your balls, but we can't have it both ways, on this one.

The price (in terms of basic authorship integrity) of a Santo "authorized" bio would be far too high.

On the other hand, I'd read a "no-holds-barred" Santo bio in a heartbeat.

Maintain powerful levels of empathy for Santo's personal physical situation, but
    anybody doing Santo needs to be fair (i. e. blunt) and evenhanded. And no
    way Ronnie's going to "authorize" that.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Please, let's remember to give Marty Noble co-author credit.

4. In Exile

In Exile Member

Just a thought, but if you think "I'd love to read a book about..." that's a sign that perhaps you might want to write that book, and if you don't, someone else will.

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Thanks, Ben. You make some good points, but trust me, I know the book publishing world, getting published and jknow what I"m saying when I say things like a book being both authorized and no-holds-barred. There are such things. An authorized book doesn't NECESSARILY mean a straight-out autobiography. It can mean a biography of someone in which you talk to 50-100 other people to get the straight dope, warts and all, but yet have total or near-total acess with the book subject who's secure enough in who she or he is to give you that access.

Example--Halberstam's book on Bill Belichick; there are others. I'm just saying that the Santo book I"m talking about has to have his cooperation and full access, but it needs plenty of candid output from other quoted sources to make sure it goes at the issues in Santo's life and gets beyond any attempt by him, either conscious or unconscious, to hold back in the book, to not want to offend anybody, that sort of thing.

That's what I mean by authorized, no-holds-barred books. They can be tricky pulling off, but they can be done by good writers with good reporting skills.

6. You are exactly right, In Exile. I have always loved the movie Field of Dreams in general and the charater of Moonlight Graham in particular, and was interested in the rest of his story beyond what is seen on the screen. So I did the research and wrote the book. It took me awhile to find a publisher, but the book, titled "Chasing Moonlight," is set to be released on April 6. Though it is not on the same scope as the books already mentioned on this thread, I'd like to think that people might want to read it.

Here is the info: http://www.blairpub.com/bio&memoir/ChasingMoonlight.htm

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Understood. As previously noted, had a pretty good idea I knew what you meant.

. . . though one of my points remains . . . if the price of Santo's cooperation would
    be final approval of the entire finished product, I'd have serious issues.

8. In Exile

In Exile Member

A couple years ago I was approached to consider writing a book with and HOF player who wanted to tell his very interesting story. I was only interested if he would shoot straight and had no interest in doing a soft, forgettable as told to. He wasn't either, but he quickly realized that if he was straight up about the life, he'd no longer be able to continue working in/around the game. Despite the fact that he could have easily seen low to mid-six figures for the book, he chose not to. He felt he would be ostracized.

It's a fine line, and even Halberstam apparently chose to overlook a/o ignore unsavory personal stuff. Feew athletes ar secure enoughn, emoptiuonally and financially, to really want to tell their entire story, which is why so mmany athlete autobios are so disappointing.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Exactly.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think Marty might prefer if you don't. :D

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sweet. I'll read it.

12. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Good points, Ben, reference your post about the guy who had the chance to do a book with a HOF-er.

Only concession I would make to Santo would be that he could review any part of the ms. where he has been quoted, and only then for fact checking---no pulling back stuff that when he sees in print he wishes he hadn't said.

I wouldn't offer this upfront, but only as a last resort if there's no other way he would talk to me. Of course, publisher wluld have to approve.

Draft saved Draft deleted