1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Books Update

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by swenk, Feb 12, 2009.

1. swenk

swenk Member

As discussed on another thread, maybe a running update of sports book deals would give some insight into what publishers are buying.

I apologize in advance for any errors or omissions. I can't promise that this will be all-inclusive and comprehensive, but I do get some regular industry updates (and gossip) about what's going on (and not going on) out there. I hope others will post here too.

So for starters, over the last month or so:

--Jerry West's autobiography, with Jonathan Coleman, to Little Brown, reportedly for seven figures.

--Dustin Pedroia, BORN TO PLAY: My Life in the Game, with Edward Delaney, to Simon & Schuster

--Humpy Wheeler, with Peter Golenbock, a history of stock-car racing, to Motorbooks.

--ESPN's Chad Millman, THE LAST DAYS OF STEEL (about the 1970s Steelers), to Gotham.

--Mark Kreidler, HEAVY WAVES, about the surfing contest at Mavericks, to Norton.

--Curt Smith's biography of Vin Scully, to Potomac Books.

--SI's Jim Gorant, THE LOST DOGS, about the rescue of Michael Vick's dogs, to Gotham.

--Jonah Keri, about the success of the Tampa Bay Rays, to ESPN Books.

--Phil Mickelson's first instructional book, to Collins.

Also, Jon Krakauer's previously postponed book on Pat Tillman will finally be published in September.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Matt McCarthy's book "Odd Man Out," which was excerpted in SI this week, looks good. The excerpt was a fun read.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This thread could prove an awesome resource. Thanks.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I've always thought a West book could be really good. The tortured player who could never beat the Celtics, the one title, then a second career as one of the best GMs ever. I'd previously heard that Roland Lazenby was working on a biography, which seems might be trumped if West's doing his own autobiography.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No Dodgers books for Joe Torre (or any other Dodger, apparently):

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2009/02/11/2009-02-11_joe_torre_bound_from_a_dodgers_book.html

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dustin Pedroia has an autobiography at age 25?

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

It's in the MVP gift basket. Right next to the case of Cristal, three (insert local college) coeds and an easily-treatable STD.

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

This is a good type thread to keep coming back to, but let's just start it over periodically and let swenk keep doing it. I love this stuff, having written a number of sports books. I want to know what's up out there.

The West and Krakauer books will be must-reads.

Vick's dogs sounds like a waste.

Humpy Wheeler is a possibility, although not much of a nascar buff.

Dustin Pedroia? Nah, even though I"m a Red Sox guy---kneejerk books never have much appeal for me. Now, if someone could get Jim Rice to open up, I would likely bite on that one.

I don't know if it's been done or not, but someone needs to do a no-holds-barred book with Ron Santo. I don't just mean a superficial first-person job, but some sort of authorized book that really digs into the whole Hall of fame snub angle and amputation deal, as well as the Cubs sad fate in general. If it's been done, sorry, I missed it and don't feel like Googling right now.

9. swenk

swenk Member

It's probably too early to order your copy, but Mike Tyson wrote a book while he was in prison, and only five publishers get to see it.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02122009/gossip/pagesix/literary_tyson_154690.htm

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Lenny Dykstra published his autobiography, "Nails" at 24, after he'd been in the majors less than two full seasons. Might be the worst book of all time.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dude, what the fuck do you know? Dude. That fucking book was fucking awesome, dude. Fuck, dude.

12. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

When do we get the announcement of an A-Rod book?

Speaking of A-Rod and the Texas juice connection (Palmeiro, Kevin brown, etc.), when does Mark Teixiera enter the 'roids radar? Didn't he start out there in the 2001-2003 era?

Draft saved Draft deleted