1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Biz Journal on shrinking sports sections/team coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jul 21, 2009.

1. bmm

bmm Member

^ I agree that a paper should offer more than just game stories. Features, profiles, stats and previews of big games really add to the content of a paper. Problem is the staff is becoming smaller at a lot of papers and thus there aren't the hands to do a lot beyond game stuff and the infrequent feature.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I think readers are looking for objective analysis (while knowing that the writer hopes that the home team wins).

I don't think that is available on those Stepford team sites.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

While I tend to agree with you, the poll numbers suggest otherwise. Or at least suggest more people go to team sites over newspaper sites no matter what we think.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The team web sites give the reader more.

Maybe not more objective analysis, but more of everything else. Stats, notes, schedules, ordering tickets, promotions, contests.

Newspapers used to be the "meat and potatoes" because TV just couldn't do it.

Now the team web sites are the meat and potatoes . . . and the newspaper is the seldom-eaten dessert with occasional good commentary and analysis and sometimes a scoop (and I don't mean "so-and-so will be sent down to Triple-A")

Draft saved Draft deleted