1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports bars, Raleigh/Durham area

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

What did they do, make edible food?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I loved Damon's onion ring loaf thingie. They made a damn good pot roast until they took it off the menu.

3. KG

KG Active Member

I seriously need to up my contact script. I just read the title of this thread as "Sports bras".

4. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Regarding drinks, there is a wonderful little pub somewhere off Franklin Street in Chapel Hill. I can't remember the name -- and it pales compares to my old pub in Athens, Ohio -- but it's not a bad place to get some beers.

Regarding food, I will second Time-Out off Franklin Street in Chapel Hill. Bullock's Barbecue off Quebec Drive in Durham is excellent.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

As for Chapel Hill: If the weather is nice, <a href="http://triangle.citysearch.com/profile/6158363/">He's Not Here</a> has a nice courtyard outside. If not, the inside part of He's Not Here is a big too smoky and small. <a href="http://triangle.citysearch.com/profile/32200074/chapel_hill_nc/woody_s_tar_heel_tavern_grll.html">Woody's</a> (which used to be Four Corners) is a decent place to watch a game. Bailey's is a nice place to watch a game but it's nowhere near downtown.

6. Stupid

Stupid Member

Since when did Sutton's or Time-Out become sports bars?

Sutton's is a drugstore with a lunch counter and Time-OUt is a late-night/anytime greasy biscuit purveyor. However, like appgrad suggests, I would recommend eating at either establishment.

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

There is walking involved. As in, grab a biscuit at Time-out and then head back to the bar across the street. Drink a few, then get another biscuit. Drink a few more, then dare to order the box of bones.

8. ondeadline

I always liked Hector's. But it's been so long since I've been to Chapel Hill that I'm not sure it's still around.

9. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

hector's is still there, but instead of being upstairs on the corner of franklin and henderson, it's now down the block a couple of doors on henderson. at the risk of offending the time-out devotees (and i love some drunk chicken-biscuit eating), hector's the best late-night drunk food on earth.

10. Stupid

Stupid Member

Word! that Greek grilled cheese choked off some hangovers for me.

11. ondeadline

The chili cheeseburger is my pick at Hector's.

What's this drinking you speak of? People on Franklin Street drink? :)

12. danhawks

danhawks Member

I second the Village Draft House in Cameron Village near NC State. Fried pickle chips...Unlike Lays, you can eat just 10, then they're gross. But the first 10 are silly.

Draft saved Draft deleted