1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports bars, Raleigh/Durham area

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Jan 14, 2008.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'll be there for the opening weekend of the NCAA Tournament. Any and all suggestions are welcome; would prefer to do something local instead of a chain such as Hooter's.

I may take the golf clubs for something to do on the off day, but I'm open to other ideas, too.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Don't go.

Seriously, though, just poke around, there's plenty of good sports bars and such in the area. But compared to my usual cycle of travels, it's probably one of the most boring places I've visited. Especially if you're off to Duke.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

Oh Lord.

This is off to a rousing start.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Try my buddy Bates Battaglia's joint, Lucky B's, in Raleigh.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That would be the first suggestion. Another would be any one of the numerous watering holes around Hillsborough Street, which forms the northern border of the campus of North Carolina State University.

If you end up wandering west, take a look some places on Franklin Street near the University of North Carolina campus.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

There are Carolina Ale Houses all over the metro area. Good food there. Bailey's in Chapel Hill his also solid, but you won't be within walking distance of Franklin Street.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Sam,

Is the Hibernian still there?

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

In Chapel Hill, I would suggest Sutton's or Time-out. Both are on Franklin Street.

In Raleigh, Damon's across from the arena is not bad. It will probably be very crowded, however.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Which is the one Woody Durham owns? That's a good bet.

There's an upscale chain sports bar (Champps, I think?) in the Streets of Southpoint mall in Durham.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Appgrad05: Is the Damon's you speak of the chain rib joint or just a place with the same name?

12. Damon's, by the RBC Center, is shut down and won't be re-opening anytime soon (the owners violated their franchise agreement). There isn't much on Hillsborough Street, though try Mitch's Tavern. That's where the bar scenes in Bull Durham were filmed (the alley scene with the glass door was filmed in Durham, so don't go looking for it there). They have good chili. Other places... Sammy's, off Avent Ferry Road, is popular with NC State students, apparently, though I've never been there. The Players Retreat on Oberlin, right off Hillsborough, is a neighborhood favorite (or at least has been in the past). The burgers at Village Draft House, up the road in Cameron Village, are really good. And there are some sports bars in nearby in Glenwood South, which has some pretty good restaurants, if you're looking for something more than bar food. http://www.visitraleigh.com/weekends/entertainment/glenwood.html

Draft saved Draft deleted