1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Assistant Managing Editor -- Baltimore Examiner

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hoopsfan23, May 30, 2007.

1. Hoopsfan23

Hoopsfan23 New Member

From journalismjobs.com

Company: Baltimore Examiner
    Position:
    Assistant Managing Editor - Sports
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    July 4, 2007
    Job ID: 783806

Description:
    The Baltimore Examiner, your daily intelligence, is an exciting, growing company that is changing the newspaper industry! We currently have an opening for an Assistant Managing Editor – Sports!

Responsibilities include:

-Serve as backup to the Editor and Managing Editor in regards to management responsibilities

-Oversee a staff of sports reporters

-Participate in daily and long range planning efforts

-Perform editing functions to ensure quality editorial material by reviewing copy at each stage

-Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of industry trends and current events

-Other duties as assigned

Candidates should possess a bachelors degree in journalism, communication or related field, at least five to eight years of industry specific experience (prior management experience preferred), ability to use the rules of good writing and to work under the pressure of tight deadlines.

The Baltimore Examiner offers a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits package, terrific work environment and a wonderful downtown location.

Qualified candidates should apply with a current resume and salary expectations to tmaier@baltimoreexaminer.com or fax to 410-500-4669.

I actually helped with the launch of this tabloid back in April 2006 and covered sports. Not a bad gig but its certainly doesn't hold a candle to The Baltimore Sun, even with the changes the Sun is currently going through.

2. boots

boots New Member

My only question about this is the stability of the product. Is it losing a ton of money?

3. Hoopsfan23

Hoopsfan23 New Member

Yeah that's a great question Boots. Honestly, I don't think the Examiner is very stable. While I was there, many people were looking for other jobs. It's a relatively small staff and you can easily write 3-4 stories a day. Which for a daily is crazy in my opinion. And the paper doesn't have a great deal of respect from others because its simply considered a "free tabloid"

4. boots

boots New Member

And isn't there a metro available in Baltimore as well?

5. Hoopsfan23

Hoopsfan23 New Member

Yup.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Your EE has your back here if a neighbor gets threatening.

What's this pay? How big is the sports staff?

7. patriotsfan80

patriotsfan80 New Member

Yeah that's a great question Boots. Honestly, I don't think the Examiner is very stable. While I was there, many people were looking for other jobs. It's a relatively small staff and you can easily write 3-4 stories a day. Which for a daily is crazy in my opinion. And the paper doesn't have a great deal of respect from others because its simply considered a "free tabloid"
    [/quote]

HoopsFan is right on the money.

8. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

This was open less than a year ago.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I know people who have applied for news jobs there and have had nothing good to say about the ME. FWIW.

Draft saved Draft deleted