1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Assistant- Madison, WI (PT)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1603443

Company: Wisconsin State Journal
    Position:
    Sports Assistant
    Job Status: Part-time
    Salary: Not Specified

Description:

The Wisconsin State Journal is seeking a reliable, motivated, outgoing person to take scores, statistics and highlights over the phone, fax and email on high school, college and recreational sports. Hours are generally in the evening, in shifts of three to four hours, for as many as four days per week. No shifts will run later than midnight; most will end at 10:30 or 11 p.m. Typing, grammar and spelling skills are necessary. Sports knowledge is a major plus. This entry-level position also requires Web-based data entry and, in time, might lead to writing and editing opportunities in the sports department. We offer a strong team environment and solid growth opportunities. Sports Assistants are given experience using SportsStats, CoverItLive, TownNews CMS, Twitter, Flip video and other practical newspaper and Internet applications.

Applicants with a valid driver's license, a good driving record and their own personal vehicle are preferred. Compensation begins at $7.69/hr.

Candidates must apply online at https://lee.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=000101VP&lang=en&sns_id=addthis-service-code. Applications will be accepted until August 14th.

Wisconsin State Journal

1901 Fish Hatchery Road

Madison, WI 53713

Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer

Pre-employment drug testing applies

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not much money, but a good way for a college student to get started and learn a lot at a large paper.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Good paper. Wish it would think about hiring full-time more, but that seems to be the way of the world these days.

4. Madison Sports

Madison Sports New Member

We've actually got THREE open spots and we're motivated to fill them pronto.
    We lost one of our people to a FT job with the U.S. Department Health and Human Services in his hometown of Bethesda, Md.; another got boosted to full-time night hours at his (former) day job with a local Internet firm; a third is up for a couple of FT weekly newspaper jobs and is bound to land one.
    Football is less than three weeks away. If you know of anybody in or near Madison who might be interested, please let them know ASAP. Thanks.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Good luck with your search! Hey, it's a way to get some experience! :)

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Madison,

Got to think there are some folks at UW who would be happy to work for you in this capacity. Not sure if they have a journalism department. Back in the day, when I was in school, I had a journalism prof who lined me up for a couple of gigs that helped me get started.

There are even competent high schoolers who might fit. My senior year of HS, I was responsible for reporting our game boxes and updated stats to the local paper. That taught me how to keep a boxscore and statistics and sort of laid the foundation for other jobs later on.

7. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Are those other spots for sports too or general news?

8. Madison Sports

Madison Sports New Member

All three are for sports assistants (phone answerers / agate clerks / six-pointers / whatever your shop calls them).

Draft saved Draft deleted