1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports as "Breaking News"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by young-gun11, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It strikes me that the person who posted the comment might be closer to the newsroom than is the average reader. How would a reader know that a reporter gets to designate a story as breaking news? The sensitivity to how the paper is perceived is telling, in my opinion.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Readers love to ask, "HOW IS THIS NEWS?!" and suggest that standards have fallen at every turn. Their clicks speak louder than their comments.

3. Johnny Dangerously

I agree, Versatile. I smell something more here, though. I think this is not a "reader" in the usual sense. This is someone with intimate knowledge of the process.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think you might be reading too far into it if you're suggesting it was an inside job. Readers always put all the blame on the reporter. Plus, young-gun11 works for a small weekly.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Smells fishy, is all. But you're probably right.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Readers think writers write their headlines and pick their photos, too.

7. Johnny Dangerously

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

So, so true. It's like the boy who cried wolf.

9. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Yet, in my case, they'd be correct. Of course, sometimes I come up with a clever headline. I'm also glad I get to choose my photos because I take them and shop them. I can actually take photos of the players who meant something to the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted