1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports angles on Va. Tech shootings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ColbertNation, Apr 16, 2007.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Sorry if this is covered in the other thread, but five pages is an awful lot to sift through.
    News is bugging me to get some kind of sports angle on today's shootings, and I was wondering if anyone had found anything worthwhile. Have Greenberg or Beamer made any kind of official statements? If so, where can I find them? Keep in mind that we get the cheapest service that AP has to offer. And if AP doesn't send me anything, and I can only find something on Fox, Yahoo, CNN or the like, should I run it?

2. estreetfan75

estreetfan75 Member

Both coaches have been quoted on ESPN.com stories.

3. Uh, call AP and ask

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Greenberg talked to the Long Beach paper.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm guessing Tech will cancel or postpone Saturday's spring game.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would be shocked if they don't.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There was a note on the Roanoke paper website that all football, men's and women's basketball, men's tennis and one other sports's athletes were all accounted for this afternoon. The other sports were still tracking down their athletes.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He's good friends with Burlison, so I could see why. Had dinner with Seth one night. Good guy.

As an aside, how does this affect recruiting? Former co-worker loves Va. Tech and thinks it'll hurt badly.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

A lot depends on what happens now.

The school has had some security problems and obviously didn't solve them.

Now, they've got to turn that into the safest campus in America.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The safest campus can't stop a frizzed-out, jilted student from going agro. When you've stepped over the tipping point a campus cop ain't gonna stop the spree.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not only good friends with Burlison, but Seth coached at the Beach. And, yes, he's a good guy.

12. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

You got a link where they say that some of the sports athletes are accounted for?

We got an athlete down there. I am not feeling too good.

Draft saved Draft deleted