1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports and Year-Round Schools

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cadet, Apr 13, 2009.

1. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I found out at some point, though it took longer than you would expect, that the world continues to spin when you take vacation. :)

2. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Dang, quoting somebody who quoted me ... anyway, the district where my sister-in-law works will switch four year-round elementary schools to the traditional calendar. Estimated savings are $800,000, which is part of a much larger cost-cutting program, such as no raises, etc.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Slacker! I even made sure my kid was born in the summer.

Ok, it was a coincidence, but I still took credit for my dedication on that one. :)

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My kid is coming the first week of football season this year, or so the due date says.

And you know what? I couldn't care less what happens with football coverage that week. If for some reason the scores still haven't been in the paper when I get back, I'll put them in, otherwise I don't care.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My joke.

Rick Stain's head.

6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

;D

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

:D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Wait a minute.

Three months off at summer??? sonofabitch. I feel a little ripped off here. In Canada, at least where I grew up, we only got two months. And a break in February? what's that shit about? We got a week or two at Christmas and I think a week at Easter.

That being said, I think doing year round schooling is much easier for kids in Grades 1-12, I don't think it would work as well for those at university or college for economic reasons. At that level if you are going to have your profs working that much longer they are going to want that much more money. Plus those three months (which I did get at college, however) are generally crucial for those students who have to pay their way through post-secondary and have to get a summer job. But I do see from a scheduling point of view how it would make things a little easier on the athletics department.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Typical school calendar where we are (Indiana)

Start of school: mid-August
    2-day breaks/4-day weekends in late October (fall break) & late November (Thanksgiving)
    2-week break encompassing Christmas & New Year's (usually begins the Sat before Christmas and begins the Mon after New Year's)
    1-week break at the end of March
    School ends around Memorial Day
    10-week break during the summer
    Holidays we get off: Labor Day, MLK Day, President's Day, Memorial Day

Students go 180 days. Teachers are usually on 183-day contracts.

Year-round calendars (around here) essentially cut summer down to 6 weeks by going until the end of June, extend the winter & spring breaks to 3 weeks and throw in a 2-to-3-week break at the end of the first grading period (usually in mid-October).

In Indiana, if a school is going through renovations/building project, it must at least explore and consider a year-round calendar (it doesn't have to adopt it, but it must at least investigate it). Most urban districts with multiple schools usually offer at least one year-round elementary & middle school -- and make them parent-choice (and because parent-choice schools often do better because of parent involvement no matter what calendar they're on, it creates data that "proves" year-round schools are better).

10. NX

NX Member

One of the great things about Iowa having high school baseball and softball as summer sports is it gives weeklies and small dailies something to consistently fill their pages with during the summer and keeping publishers and news editors from saying things like: "How could you possibly need that many pages?!" I used to hear that several times a year, and it was only between seasons.

One of the bad things, though, is that if a senior is not absolutely in love with softball, they usually end up not playing to get things ready for college, which drives numbers down. Plus, there's starting to be a high school vs. club team argument. At least there was before I left there in the fall. The summer schedule doesn't hurt baseball numbers, as far as seniors are concerned.

The window for vacations is a lot smaller, though, and some families take them during the season and that limits teams. I knew a family who had to cancel their vacation because the team unexpectedly made it to state. They lost a lot of money on plane tickets, but the father was a coach at the school in another sport, so they weren't about to leave.

But football and wrestling and basketball camps take a toll on teams, also, especially when a football coach tells a player he won't start if he doesn't go, never mind that it's the same day as the start of the postseason and he won't have any legs to run down flies in center field.

11. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I Should Coco and NX, where are guys from in Iowa?
    I grew up in Danville in the southeast corner, graduating high school in 1987. Lots of good memories of summer nights under the lights, and a few very hot and humid afternoons that only another Iowan can comprehend on fields with no lights.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Not to mention I have a relative in the Midwest who has retired three times and been talked into coming back to teach by the administration because they can't find a qualified teacher to replace her. Doesn't sound like a glut to me. It must be regional.

Draft saved Draft deleted