1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports affects lawsuit vs. Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 5, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree that is absolute stupidity, but I can understand how being a judge in a civil court can make you callous after a while. It's not an excuse for this judge, but I would never be able to do his job. I'd want to scream at everyone. People sue over everything and anything. If he's like me, of course he shouldn't be doing that job.

I just looked to see what the case was about, and without knowing the details: it was an 88-year-old man who go hit by an automatic door at a Wal-Mart and is now suing Wal-Mart and Stanley Works, the doormaker. I don't want to be totally insensitive, but I feel safe in saying that the integrity of a just society doesn't hang on this lawsuit, as sad as what happened is.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't give a shit what it's about, it deserves to be decided on its merits, not as a prop in some fucking post-midlife-crisis fratboy's cock-flapping over a game from 40 years ago.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ragu, thanks for that info. Too bad it was not in the stories I read.

And everyone, it's Texas.

Anyone who lives there should not be suprised when this crazy crap happens. It's like living in Florida and complaining about the heat.

4. The Big Ragu

By the way... Just reread my post. The 88-year-old man died. He's not suing. His family is. I wasn't clear.

5. 93Devil

Ragu, was he hit by the door in Texas or Arkansas?

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

In matters like this, the Judge has pretty much the authority to do whatever he wants. However, if I'm Wal-Mart, I may try to have the judge recuse himself on the basis of his stated bias towards an out of state corporation.

7. The Big Ragu

Texas, Devil... Marble Falls.

8. 93Devil

You are correct, Webster.

Thanks, Ragu.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I wasn't doubting the domination. I was just saying that the portion that reads, "would feel great humiliation by being forced to enter the home state of the University of Texas, where the legendary Texas Longhorns have wrought havoc on the Arkansas Razorbacks with an impressive 55-21 all-time series record," makes it sound like Arkansas never had a home game in the series.

Starman, you are a true piece of work. And I mean that in a good way.

Draft saved Draft deleted