1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports/activities YOU participate in

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Rugby
    Doing a charity fencing event next month, but that's most likely a one-shot deal.
    Pondering doing a 5k and maybe within a year or two some powerlifting.

2. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

- lift weights
    - pick-up basketball
    - running (a few 10 Ks, one marathon, hopefully another...some day)
    - rec softball (easily my favorite; rambling around the outfield is the closest I can get to recreating my glory days)
    - city league basketball

I want to learn how to box. Not in order to actually box, just to learn the art of it (and to get in better shape).

3. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Still playing basketball after four surgeries on my left knee and hardly any cartilage left. The league at work should be starting soon.

I would love, love, love to find a good flag or touch football league near me. That was the only sport I had any real success at & I would love to play a few more years before it becomes impossible.

I "golf" as well.

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I lift and run some. And this fall I joined a Saturday morning touch football league, which is way more intense than it ought to be. Ex-small college players, etc. We had a guy break his collarbone last weekend.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Oh, please. As a bicycle racer, I suck. I raced only seven times this year -- but have another one Saturday a.m. -- and did a few centuries. I want to be a good cyclist, right now I'm just good compared to the rest of the guys in my newsroom.

Martin G is the stud on this site.

But I suppose it's my turn now.

I've, obviously, picked up the cycling bug and try to get 100-150 miles per week in. I'll up that to 200-300 miles per week in March after basketball season ends.

I've also done a little running lately, a little swimming and I go to pilates or some other chick-friendly studio class at the gym once a week to try and get a balance to my workouts.

I thought about becoming a golfer, but could never find the time. I still play a few games of basketball with the guys or my brothers every now an then. Uma and I go for brisk walks around the neighborhood or along the river trail when we get a chance.

Mostly, I want to get into endurance sports, but not marathons -- low impact for my joints.

I've got a bold plan for next summer: Hit 2/3 of the local bike road races and one crit per week. Do five triathlons including XTerra and capped with an Olympic distance tri. Do LOTOJA (206 miles, one day) in September and if my schedule and legs are up for it, finish the year with the Hoodoo 500 -- a 500 mile race in southern Utah that includes riding through the night if you're truly psycho. I may tag-team with my Ironman Triathlon buddy for that one, though.

6. cathack

cathack New Member

Golf, golf, golf, and more golf. I've gotten so serious about it I can't drink anymore when playing, which probably means I should quit. Fortunately wife doesn't mind me playing every week or so during the summer when the schedule allows.
    Also play softball with some guys at my shop. Would like to run a half-marathon before my 30th in August, but right now my knees start complaining after 3 or 4 miles.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

- I ran D-1 college cross country and track
    - I currently golf a little bit
    - I am training for my first marathon
    - I just completed my first half-marathon in 1:16:44
    - I lift four weights four times a week with a goal to gain some muscle mass

8. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

I gained a ton of weight after years of inactivity and finally decided in 2004 that it had to change. Around this time three years ago I got in the gym and did nothing but cardio three or four times a week. Started off just on an exercise bike. By December I was doing some light jogging. By the summer of 2005, I'd dropped more than 50 pounds and had regained enough endurance to start playing soccer again.

I had played from the time I was 8 all the way through high school, so I was really happy to get back to it. Started playing in a Sunday co-ed rec league at an indoor soccer place near me and I'm still playing every Sunday -- for more than two years now.

If you're thinking about getting into a rec league, you should stop thinking and do it. I get totally lost in the game when I play. Last Sunday, after my game, as I was getting in the car to go home, I started thinking about a bunch of work I had to do and it dawned on me that until that moment I hadn't thought about work all evening. Don't know about the rest of you, but there aren't many times when I don't have work on my mind. It's nice to have something to get involved with that helps you forget about work for a couple hours.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I lift weights and do cardio 3-5 times a week.

During the summer I played some softball every week.

Now that it's fall I play some flag football most Saturdays. It's a good workout on top of my trips to the gym.

Draft saved Draft deleted