1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports/activities YOU participate in

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 10, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I'm about to run my first official 5K on Sunday and I'm getting a rush just thinking about it. Hopefully my knee & shoulder will co-operate. I'm also looking to join a baseball league as either a 1B or LF so I can do the minimal amount of throwing. Who knows, maybe in a few years when I have the time and money, I'll take up martial arts.

What are some activities ye fellow SportsJournalists.commers participate in?

Activities like lifting massive weights incorrectly to impress girls when you really look like narcissistic jack-ass, posting rambling YouTube videos and competitive arguing/instigating are NOT included.
  2. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Hey, best of luck in your 5K. Hopefully the weather will be better for running than it was last weekend (at least in my part of the country). I do cycling (100-mile centuries) and triathlons (longer distance ones), but took a while to work up to those. That's about all I do now, save for some core-strength workouts, because my core strength sucks.
  3. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

I used to play pick-up soccer. I'm starting to take up jogging so I can get back into shape enough to play soccer again.

I sometimes will play ultimate frisbee.
  4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I run, do as many 5ks as I can. I also play roller hockey, at least when the older kids are allowed to play -- by their wives. Fuckers. I am a sensational goalie, even if I have to wear my lacrosse helmet because no one has a real goalie helmet.
  5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I still play hockey. Crazy.
  6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I play golf and that is about it. I am actually pretty miserable about how little I do and am trying to get more involved in some form of sports/activities.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Rec-league softball
    fly fishing
    mountain biking
    And at least three hours per week on the treadmill
  8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I about joined a soccer league this fall ... I think that will happen next year.
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Used to be a competitive runner, averaged 20 or so races a year in my 30s and 10-15 races a year thereafter. Used to play city league softball and helped with my kid's soccer team.

Can't anymore because of a medical condition.

But still bike, swim, eliptical trainer, walk, and I'm thinking about re-starting a golf career after a two-year hiatus.
  10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

We should have an SportsJournalists.com golf tournament.
  11. I play golf and my friends and I still play home run derby from time to time on Little League fields using tennis balls. I know it sounds childish and that's because it is.
    I actually wish I could get involved in more, but A: I don't know where there are sports to get involved in, and 2: Most of the things I like to do run at night and we all know what our schedules are like.
    I've always wanted to take up biking, but I know I definitely need to take up something to get my ass in respectable shape.
    Would actually love to play soccer except I suck and I'm slow and fat. Played as a kid despite those same problems. But it's a little different than playing with people who played in high school and college.
  12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

I used to shoot a little golf, but I probably haven't played a half-dozen rounds the last couple of years. Life changes happen, eh?

I also bike from time to time (not ready to take on Idaho, but who is?). I also used to play the occasional pick-up game of touch football - tends to surprise or shock some. Problem is, it's a killer on my knees and the last couple of times, I was sore for four or five days from the shoulders down. And this was only touch football.
Draft saved Draft deleted