1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Ace, Waynesboro, Virginia

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by koolbreeze, Dec 1, 2007.

1. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

From journalismjobs.com:

The News Virginian, a small award-winning daily in the heart of Virginia's Shenandoah Valley has an opening in its sports department. We're the reigning first-place sports staff for newspapers with circulations of less than 20K in our state. We do it by covering preps with all the gusto that your average major metro covers the MLB, NBA or NFL. Much like those places, you can expect your words to be backed with crackerjack designs. Our sports department has taken the lead in multimedia, posting a weekly Web cast focusing on local athletics. Sure, everybody says it these days, but we do think outside the proverbial box, so a sense of humor and great ideas are a sure-fire way for you to fit in. We won our first APSE award last year and have no intentions of it being our last. Did we mention we have tons of fun here? If we've enticed you enough and you're ready to step up from a weekly or just coming out of college looking for a great place to start and, more importantly, learn, then let's hear from you. E-mail a cover letter and clips to rwolverton@newsvirginian.com or snail-mail to Managing Editor R. Lee Wolverton, P.O. Box 1027, Waynesboro, VA 22980.

2. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Posted again with a different contact? Wonder what happened the first go-round.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

yeah, this is kind of odd. Here is Jim's last post about this opening:
    They started looking in late August. At one point I was talking with them and there was mention of a possible job freeze, but I'm pretty sure that was resolved in mid October. I only talked to Lee once. Jim is good guy and knows what he's doing, IMO from my talking to him.

Original thread
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1362675/

second thread
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/48127/#quickreply

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Maybe Jim can tell us what happened to the timeline he mentioned before. (Not ripping, Jim, just curious.)

5. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

Well if they are still looking then I am applying.

I know I know...

I'm hired.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Hopefully, you hear from then.

7. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

It would be nice.

8. Jims242

Jims242 Member

Timeline went out the window.

Can't go much into detail (which I'm sure most of you understand).

Sorry about all this, but this is what I get for wishful thinking.

Draft saved Draft deleted