1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News up next?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Nov 10, 2016.

1. georgealfano

georgealfano Active Member

I was a big Sporting News fan going back to the 1960s. I used to walk about a mile on Sundays after Mass to a store which carried it. After this went on for several months, my aunt got me a subscription.

I used to read everything in it, although it was mostly all about baseball then. Looking back, a lot of it was just rewritten stuff their writers had in the local newspapers but that was the way we got information before the Internet. Amazing.

I didn't think it was still around.

2. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I remember my dad used to subscribe and SN having every team's stats was so awesome for me as a kid. I would look at what happened over the last week as it had writeups on every team, their records, their stats. I didn't get to watch it like I do now so it really kept me updated. I remember looking through and seeing the league leaders in bold and seeing how bad the Brewers were with John Jaha and Greg Vaughn lol. I went to a Barnes & Noble and was looking and couldn't find a magazine and thought it was odd. Then I saw they quit their print product. Was a sad day. I didn't realize they still were around today either, but as Doc said, might as well not be.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  3. 1stmm

1stmm New Member

If I recall, SN tried to kill off Yearbooks when it decided to go to clickbait/rewriting other people's stuff, laying off nearly the department a while back along with many others. Which was strange bc I heard that was one of their actual things bringing in revenue...anyway, then they brought it back under the S&S team as mentioned (prob should have stayed with that branding overall).

SN has made some very questionable moves and hires in the last several years, and I wouldn't be surprised if the layoffs continue, unfortunately.

Draft saved Draft deleted